lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
archcar55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 88 Ezgo 2 cycle, no power good compression

Hi I am a new member but an old guy. My 88 Ezgo was running good and then just ran out of power. Have to choke it to start it. It has 125 compression. New carb (6 month old) I took it apart and cleaned it. How do you time this engine? I heard that I can pour gas in the crank case and see it the seals leak. Wouldn't this be hard on the bearings and how would I get it out of there if the seals were good? I also pulled the muffler and it was cleaned and air passed through it easy. Please help as I have tried all that I can think of.
archcar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: 88 Ezgo 2 cycle, no power good compression

I've heard of the blowing smoke into the crankcase to see if it comes out the seals. I would just look for signs of gas oil mix comming out of the seals and around the base of the cylinder gasket, if it's leaking it should blow some of the fuel mix out of where it's leaking. It's been forever since I worked on a 2 stroke so i'm sure i'm forgetting things. does this engine have reed valves?
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
archcar55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes it has reeds and they are in good shape. I used too race 2 stroke motorcycles so am a little used to these but this has me stumped. It starts and runs real slow with the choke on and I have ease the choke off after it starts and gets going. It will not pull any kind of hill. It acts like it is out of time but don't know how to check this.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
ruredy
Born Wild

I believe this model has a pulsar coil mounted behind the fan and there's a magnet in the fan that triggers it, this tells the igniter when to fire the coil.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
archcar55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I replaced the coil. Same results. I read on this Forum how to use a "76 chevy HEI ignition module". Wired that in with the same results. The pulsar coil or (?) is under the flywheel. At least that is where two wires go. How do I check the timing? Could this be bad and cause this problem? It does run slightly, maybe just a little better in reverse. Thanks for all of the ideas so far.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:39 AM   #6
ruredy
Born Wild

I doubt you can change the timing, it should be pretty much set in stone. engines that run both forward and backwards generally don't have much for timing adjustments. that is unless the magnet that triggers the system has somehow moved.
maybe it's a fuel mix delivery problem, you've seem to have tried ignition related cures. of course on 2 stroke that could be anything from the cases not sealed to exhaust plugged up.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
dabrain
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I've got an '88 that had the same problem - turned out to be a weak fuel pump. Also - the '88 carb has a low-speed jet that gets plugged. The choke bypasses that. I had to clean mine out with a tiny drill bit.
dabrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
archcar55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I will pull the carb off again and check. The fuel pump was changed with the carb 6 months ago but I guess it could be bad. It pumps a good stream with the hose un-hooked while turning over though. I do remember last fall while driving the cart it would get real slow but then it would back fire through the muffler when I started it up and it would run good again for a few holes of golf. The next day it might run for all day and no problems. I have cleaned the muffler and blew air through it and it seems to be okay. No loose items in it. This is getting hard on my golf game....I will let you know what I find out.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by archcar55 View Post
I have cleaned the muffler and blew air through it and it seems to be okay. No loose items in it. This is getting hard on my golf game....I will let you know what I find out.

When you say that you cleaned the muffler, which way do you mean..?
Ruredy brings up a good point about the muffler as a possible issue, with these 2 stroke carts if you do alot of short stop and go driving, it doesnt give the muffler enough time to get really hot, when this happens over years and years of use, oil builds up in the exhaust and basicaly plugs it slowly. What many have done to fix this is do what we call a BBQ muffer, where you can start up a hot fire get alot of hot coals, and put the muffler in there for a good hour or two to burn out all the gunk and crud built up in the exhaust.

that should help, but if not, it would tend to lead me to a fuel issue, intake or such.. And it could be seals as well,
Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #10
archcar55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It doesn't run any better without the muffler on it as I just tried that. If it was a fuel problem (not enough gas) wouldn't running with the choke on make it run a little better? I am starting to think that I will have to tear it down.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO