lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #1
mac1
Not Yet Wild

Default lights go dim then normal

I have a g16 gas with light kit. I put new battery in it and the lights go from nornal to alittle dim then back to normal. It keeps doing it. Why?
mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: lights go dim then normal

Sounds like when the generator is putting out juice they are fine then when it cuts out they are dim then the generator comes back on. What happens if you turn them on without the motor running? Bright or dim?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

This has been a problem that has been discussed numerous times on these Yamaha's. Some have been able to remedy it with an adjustable regulator. The generators on these just don't supply enough voltage back to the system fast enough to regenerate the amount of voltage being pulled by most high powered lights. Mine does the same thing. If you'll notice, this will also happen on some vehicles. My GMC lights will dim a little if I hit both my window switches at the same time. Same thing as what is being described with the cart. If its not really causing any problems or bothering you that much, I would just live it. Should be ok. Just be sure you don't ground anything to the frame of a Yamaha and always carry an extra 10amp fuse in case the main fuse blows.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
mac1
Not Yet Wild

What happens if I ground to the frame. I have with some of my lights.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
mac1
Not Yet Wild

If I turn lights on with motor off they are normal brightness and stay that way.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1 View Post
What happens if I ground to the frame. I have with some of my lights.
You run a big risk of blowing the main fuse. Ground everything to the neg. battery post.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1 View Post
If I turn lights on with motor off they are normal brightness and stay that way.
With engine off, you are pulling directly from the battery. With the engine running, the generator is trying to keep up with the load you are putting on the battery so it fluctuates. You can replace the brushes in the generator, get a new regulator, battery, cables, etc... but it will more than likely still fluctuate with engine rpm. Just be sure your grounding to the neg. post of the battery. That may help also.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
mac1
Not Yet Wild

what I did when I started to wire for lights was I put a main terminal block for hot and ground and I ran a 12 ga. wire to each from the battery and I connect all wires to the terminal block so I don't have to mess with the battery at all. I also ran a ground wire to the frame from the terminal block so up front I have a main ground stud I hook to there. That saves me from running all grounds back to terminal block. I tried running a wire direct to lights from battery but they still fluctuate at high rpm. Normal at a idle speed. Still confused what to do next.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by spriddle View Post
With engine off, you are pulling directly from the battery. With the engine running, the generator is trying to keep up with the load you are putting on the battery so it fluctuates. You can replace the brushes in the generator, get a new regulator, battery, cables, etc... but it will more than likely still fluctuate with engine rpm. Just be sure your grounding to the neg. post of the battery. That may help also.
Read this again.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha