lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
on_the_fly
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Idling my cart

Been kicking around the idea of idling my 01 ds, was looking at just unplugging the black wire out of the bottom mico and turning the idle adjustment up on the carb. So cart will still peddle start but will just have to turn the key off to kill motor if need to change from forward to reverse or visversa.
My question is to ones that have done this, i was looking for some pro's n con's from your exsperainces,
The two reasons why I was thinking of doing it is because, 1) I run only one battery and thought it might help save on the battery from the stop n goes (battery draw), 2) there are two different hills we go up and down a lot ( gravel roads) but are steep enough that we ride/ feather the break peddle and loose cart power in the process.
Sorry for any type-o's lol bad speller on a cell phone that has auto fill so if it don't make since I'll try to clean it up on home putter later.
on_the_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-10-2011, 06:30 AM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Idling my cart

I've had my cart idling for almost three years now, ( ummm... not continuously! )
And based solely on MY experience, there are more Cons, then Pro's,
but, most of the Con's are minor, as long as you are aware of them!

Pro's:
  • Because it's cool!
  • My brake lights are tied to the key switch, so I HAVE to turn the key off to keep from killing the battery.

Con's:
  • One touch of the GO pedal from a child, pet, or a slip of of the foot, sends it into motion.
  • Excessive wear on the engine. (adding hours of use to it)
  • A possibility of overheating if left idling too long.
  • A possibility of excessive drive belt wear in one spot if left idling too long.
  • My spark plug carbons up. (That could be from my timing advance key, and/or my larger carb jet though!)
  • It's annoying when your trying to talk with someone while it's idling.
  • The S/G does NOT charge the battery unless the RPM's are just a bit higher, (a 200 rpm spring may fix that)
  • Going down a hill, the cart reacts the same way running, or not! (engine braking)

There may be more Con's that I can't think of right now, but, that's most of them.
And I've read where some just can't get it to idle without "creeping" or "stalling". (again... the need for a 200 rpm spring)

But, with all of MY "Con's", I deal with them, only because of the one "Pro"... it's cool!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
on_the_fly
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks lock, I'm getting ready to do a clutch rebuild and was already thinking of adding the 200 rpm spring, I'm only riding about 3/4 up on the clutch now so I'm going to wait till after the clutch and belt repair/swap to do the idling mod I think.
on_the_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

It wouldn't hurt to try it now, (as long as your cart is running)
if it doesn't work... plug the wire back in!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car