lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Mishael
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Whitmore Lake, MI
Posts: 34
Default Dial Tach-Would it work for GC engine?

Sorry to post so much, but i have lots of questions and this one is far out of my league and the internet seems to not have much on this one. I like this tach specifically because it is cheap, it is a dial type, and I like that it has a backlight (huge must for me as my cart will be running early mornings and late nights). Attached is the manual and below is the link. It says that it has a switch to change for 4, 6, or 8 cylinders and it has 5 wires. The only issue i see is one of the wires needs to be connected to the positive end of a coil, which small engines do not have. Is there a way to rig this up to work?

Product link: http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-...ter-98480.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 98480.pdf (251.9 KB, 0 views)
Mishael is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Old 05-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
fastercarter
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 359
Default Re: Dial Tach-Would it work for GC engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishael View Post
Sorry to post so much, but i have lots of questions and this one is far out of my league and the internet seems to not have much on this one. I like this tach specifically because it is cheap, it is a dial type, and I like that it has a backlight (huge must for me as my cart will be running early mornings and late nights). Attached is the manual and below is the link. It says that it has a switch to change for 4, 6, or 8 cylinders and it has 5 wires. The only issue i see is one of the wires needs to be connected to the positive end of a coil, which small engines do not have. Is there a way to rig this up to work?

Product link: http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-...ter-98480.html

Not going to work for the following reasons; 1, your golf cart has a magneto ignition and also has a lost spark, ie, one spark /revolution which will require a tach that senses two fires / rev to bring you to true rpm. The other snag, (reason 2), is that the coil doesn't trigger the correct square wave signal to drive a conventional tachometer. If you can wait a few days until final testing has been completed however; A friend and I might be able to solve your issue. How would you like one of these units accurately powered ?
\http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/tachometers.aspx

FC
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
4vertical
Gone Wild
 
4vertical's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: La Porte Indiana
Posts: 1,392
Default Re: Dial Tach-Would it work for GC engine?

one of these http://www.cartpartsplus.com/tachometer-dial-type.html
I have one on my big block cart. look/work great!!!
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
fastercarter
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 359
Default Re: Dial Tach-Would it work for GC engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vertical View Post
one of these http://www.cartpartsplus.com/tachometer-dial-type.html
I have one on my big block cart. look/work great!!!
Nice tach 4 vert, but what were your options ?

FC
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
Mishael
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Whitmore Lake, MI
Posts: 34
Default Re: Dial Tach-Would it work for GC engine?

My bank has been broken here...i have about a month before I need the tach too. I just wish I could get a dial style for under $30. If I can't, is it possible to use the existing governer to set at around 4200-4300? The problem still being that I can't actually set it anywhere because I don't have a contact/laser tach either to set the governer
Mishael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:16 AM   #6
fastercarter
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 359
Default Re: Dial Tach-Would it work for GC engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishael View Post
My bank has been broken here...i have about a month before I need the tach too. I just wish I could get a dial style for under $30. If I can't, is it possible to use the existing governer to set at around 4200-4300? The problem still being that I can't actually set it anywhere because I don't have a contact/laser tach either to set the governer
The RPM limiter is fixed by the factory, no adjustment is possible since it's a sealed unit. The rear end governor is adjustable if you know what you are doing but you will need at the very least a mechanical or digital tach to determine where the governor should be set. Catch 22. You can get an Equus tach for around $30 but it will still require a driver to send the correct signal unless you opt for the impulse spark plug wire version as posted earlier. Nothing wrong with that, folks say they work just fine. I just prefer something a little more subtle than a station clock sized instrument dominating my dashboard.
Check this out however, neat install;
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...precedent.html


FC
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
will this tach work? Gas Yamaha
Tiny Tach for MCI engine Gas EZGO
Will a 4cyl tach work? Gas Yamaha
Will this tach work Lifted Golf Carts
'89 G1 - looking for someone to work on engine Gas Yamaha


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This Website and forum is the property of Buggiesgonewild.com. No material may be taken or duplicated in part or full without prior written consent of the owners of buggiesgonewild.com. 2006-2017 Buggiesgonewild.com. All rights reserved.