lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
jaywhy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Backfiring Issues

I recently acquired an 87 ezgo 2 cycle. The top end was just rebuilt and has a new carb on it. When i slow down then reapply the gas it backfires. I have read about the throttle adjustment and readjusted a few times and my main problem is this. In the instructions it says you should hear the click before the throttle plate begins to open. No matter how loose I have the throttle cable the plate starts moving as soon as begin to press on the pedal. Am I missing something here?
Thanks!!
jaywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2014, 10:38 PM   #2
redcloud
Gone Wild

Default Re: Backfiring Issues

Check to see if the return spring is working well to keep the throttle closed till the cable actually starts to open it.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:21 PM   #3
jaywhy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I copied what this guy did
I guess the previous owner bypassed the governor.....the spring doesnt feel like it lets me ease on the gas at all. It feels like all or nothing
throttle.jpg

is the return spring that little piece you can see under the throttle plate towards the bottom of the picture?
Old 01-16-2014, 06:35 AM   #4
sbklf
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywhy View Post
I copied what this guy did
I guess the previous owner bypassed the governor.....the spring doesnt feel like it lets me ease on the gas at all. It feels like all or nothing
Attachment 96971

is the return spring that little piece you can see under the throttle plate towards the bottom of the picture?
This picture does not show the governor cable.

No, the spring he speaks of is the one the cable threads thru.
sbklf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
racin161
Gone Wild

Do you have the spring and the furrow like in the pic? if so you need to apply more pressure on the spring. To do this back off the nut on the inside of the bracket a few turns then tighten the outer. This will apply more pressure in the closed position.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
jaywhy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Im attatching a pic of what I have now, i have the cable threaded through the spring with the stopper at the end. I have tried it different ways but the throttle plate always moves as soon as the gas pedal is touched. This time I put it on at WOT with a little pressure on the spring

20140116_091354.jpg

Also right underneath the throttle cable is another cable that is broken/cut that leads to nothing. Im not sure what it is

20140116_091420.jpg
Old 01-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The extra cable is part of the governor system. There is a bracket behind your muffler down on the frame that pivots. It was attached to that.

Hold your carburetor closed tight. Loosen the Allen screw, and compress the spring all the way down, then tighten the Allen screw.

The pedal should move, and the microswitch should click before the throttle lever moves. If that doesn't happen, you need to make adjustments at the switch.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:22 PM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I took a couple of pictures for you. I tried to get a shot of the switch end, but it was dark, and I completely missed.

I think that the spring I used out of a pen might be a little long. At wide open, it is still touching the throttle lever. I can still push it open a little more by hand.

I will now have to remove the intake hose to see how much more movement there is on the actual throttle plate. If it's significant, I will be making some more adjustments of my own. If not, I will leave it alone because preventing backfires is more important than full throttle to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg closed throttle.jpg (208.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg open throttle.jpg (263.3 KB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
jaywhy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks!! I started messing with different springs and noticed then the throttle plate gets stuck in the off position and when i press the pedal the throttle cable just slides through and the throttle plate stays where it is. I can give it a little push and it loosens back up, but when the gas is let up it closes and must be released by hand most of the time. I WD-40'd it to no avail. Im guessing maybe a bum spring there as well?

If anyone could give me the actual name of the part I need that would be great, Im calling it a throttle plate but I dont know if thats what its really called lol
thanks!

Last edited by jaywhy; 01-16-2014 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: addition of info
Old 01-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #10
redcloud
Gone Wild

As I had stated before, there is a spring under the throttle lever on the carb top that shuts the throttle plate when the pedal is released. I see it in all your pics and they will get weak. You need to take the nut off the lever and re-tension the spring so it has more pull back to shut the lever and re-install it. Did this myself and stopped the backfiring. Backfires due to gas still going into intake even though spark is not present but when you hit the peddle it ignites the fuel in the exhaust. Once the throttle plate is closing on its own, you them need to adjust the pedal to travel 1/2" before you hear the click and then the throttle plate opens so you do not have fuel entering until you have spark.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO