lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default G19 Brake options ,cause drums suck!!!

New to the forum. Not new to, forums. My wife and I have a '02 G19 electric cart. Runs great. Stops for squat!!!! Replaced the pads, and all Bendix hardware yesterday. Adjusting them sure is a PITA! We have a pretty long and steep driveway. We use the cart for taking out the trash cans and other work related transportation throughout the property. That being said I have a few questions.....

1) The cart used to stop pretty well when we first got it off the golf course about a year ago. Do the brake cables actually stretch from heavy mashing of the brake pedal?

2) I read a previous thread where Ausco cable operated disc brakes were available but they only actually give an approximate 20% more stopping power vs Hydraulic that are 150% better. Is this info accurate?

3)We don't want a high profile cart as we use it for home. But it seems that just to do the brakes, I need bigger tires and rims. I don't wanna spend a ton, when if I were to sell the one I have, I could buy someone's upgraded hotrod with all the bells and whistles. I was thinking last night that, front brakes would possibly do the trick. But, to do that, is it possible?

4)What's my best braking options? I want my wife to be able to stop and not have to worry about where to turn instead of ramming the property gates to stop!

5) Thanks in advance for info. If you can provide info, can you please provide web links as well for where to buy stuff. Our local cart place is pretty much a joke. I wouldn't use them to replace my ball washer if you know what I mean. They're more into golf scores than helping with cart info.

We just spent the money to buy all new batteries so we are into the cart already for $1600. So if there's a reasonably affordable way to do this, I'm all ears. If not, what is a good cart to get so I have the available options I am looking for? I can always keep this for grandma and she can tool around her neighborhood and I am pretty sure, the whole area she lives in is flat so brakes, will be fine just the way they are for her!!! Thanks again, Vincent
Vinny73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G19 Brake options ,cause drums suck!!!

All the brake upgrades i have seen, including the Ausco discs i have, require 10" rim minimum.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
All the brake upgrades i have seen, including the Ausco discs i have, require 10" rim minimum.
Okay. I realize that. Any insight to any other questions I posted? When I redid the brakes yesterday, I got them adjusted til I could barely get the drum on. So, I can't get them much tighter. The pedal still goes to the floor and it slows down pretty well but not enough. Is it possible the cables are stretching? Are there front brake options? And, the Ausco discs are really just a joke. With an estimated only 20% increase in braking power over stock drum, hardly warrants $300.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

If you have the brakes adjusted all the way at the back. Then yes, the adjuster in the pedal area is for adjusting variations in cable lenghts (ie: streching). I feel the ausco disk setup is worth the money. It does provide better stopping power with greatly reduced pedal pressure. The hydraulic 4-wheel setup is probably a lot nicer, but that system costs more than i originally paid for my cart (AKA- "Not Gonna Happen"). Jakes offers a front only hydraulic setup, it is too much money, and is not worth (~$600) for the improvement you get, plus, still requires 10" rims you dont want.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
If you have the brakes adjusted all the way at the back. Then yes, the adjuster in the pedal area is for adjusting variations in cable lenghts (ie: streching). I feel the ausco disk setup is worth the money. It does provide better stopping power with greatly reduced pedal pressure. The hydraulic 4-wheel setup is probably a lot nicer, but that system costs more than i originally paid for my cart (AKA- "Not Gonna Happen"). Jakes offers a front only hydraulic setup, it is too much money, and is not worth (~$600) for the improvement you get, plus, still requires 10" rims you dont want.
O boy!!!! I am new to this so, I totally forgot about the pedal adjustment! I did bend the crap out of the pedal once due to lack of braking. I did see the front braking system that jakes makes. I figured around $1k for lift and brakes then another 300 for wheels and tires. So I may be looking at another used cart. I do appreciate your input!!! I apologize if I seem uptight. Having a big piece of property has waged it's war on my pocket book already. If it's not one thing, it's another. Can you please point me in the direction of the 4 wheel braking system. I realize it may be spendy, but I would like to at least look at it. If I had more time to devote, I may just pick up a quad and fab up a new frontend but, I would just like a bolt on, simple installation as, I have plenty of other time consuming projects that need to take place.

Again, thank you cg! I gathered my info from a post back in 2011 you were a part of with scottyb on the brake system. I was hoping, that my purchase of a G19 wasn't outdated already. But as with most of my purchases, I picked something that doesn't have as much aftermarket parts and options available.

I will look at the adjustment under the floorboard and see what I can come up with. thank you again kindly! Vincent
Old 06-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

I dont know the name of the site with the 4 wheel hydraulic discs, but im pretty sure they are a site sponsor. The info on those is available on the forum if you look around. Try the search at the top right of this page.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

this is what I found from the search. the same thread I read earlier today. http://cartsunlimited.net/Hi_Performance_Brakes.html
Not seeing ones for the front though
Old 06-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

No the 9" disc brakes are available in the hydraulic brakes only... You should realize there is a significant difference in improved braking power between the cable and the hydraulic brakes.

The 2 wheel cable brakes claim a 20% improvement over stock.
The 2 wheel Hydraulic is 150% increased braking power and the 4 wheel set is a 300+% improvement over stock braking power. Increases are greater with the 9" discs.

You can see prices on my website
Old 06-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think I may need to just go to the source!! SCOTTY BEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #10
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

found it! http://wheelsca.com/index.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha