lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2022, 10:27 AM   #1
thenaz007
Not Yet Wild

Default Stock Controller with EcoBattery 48v 105ah?

I have ordered an EcoBattery 48v 105ah Lithium for my stock 2009 Club Car Precedent. I see where it can provide 300A for 30 seconds and 600A for 3 seconds. Is this going to fry my stock (I read it may be a Curtis 1510...) controller? I have one 10 second and one 25 second moderate incline returning from the camp bath house with 4 people. I am not interested in more speed, I would just like a group of people to make this 5 minute trip several times a day if necessary. I have also read mixed results on whether the controllers fry when converted to any Lithium (30%?). Finally I have read where I may or may not need to bypass the BMS, one suggestion was to wire the battery and see if it works without any other changes, if it doesn't bypass the BMS. Any advice from the group other than try and see?
thenaz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2022, 11:39 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stock Controller with EcoBattery 48v 105ah?

The battery will not harm your control.

The battery does not send power (amperage). It holds amperage like $ in the bank or water in a jug.

The motor draws upon this power and the controller limits the amount that is drawn and delivers it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:51 AM   #3
mrmotoguzzi00
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

The battery does not send power (amperage). It holds amperage like $ in the bank or water in a jug.

The motor draws upon this power and the controller limits the amount that is drawn and delivers it.
Nice Explanation...
mrmotoguzzi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:30 PM   #4
thenaz007
Not Yet Wild

Thank you. Does that also mean that the 25 second regeneration going down the longer incline should not be an issue?
thenaz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:58 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenaz007 View Post
Thank you. Does that also mean that the 25 second regeneration going down the longer incline should not be an issue?
The regen tolerance of this battery is quite high. I see no problem with a stock set up. It should be well below the battery limits.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 09:05 PM   #6
e2v
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Follow on question, will the factory stock solenoid hold up okay with his new battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

e2v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 07:49 PM   #7
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

The thing to remember with lithium, outside of a regen braking input that has created issues with some brands on some carts, it is just a power source. A lot of regen input going down a hill at the start of a ride with a fully charged pack may cause problems with some packs. Your inclines at the end of a day will not be an issue.

The voltage is the same, and there may be a lot more current available, but your cart will only take what it needs. The battery does not force any components to take more than they can use.

That goes for controllers, solenoids, switches, reducers, OBC's, motors, etc.

No need to worry about a quality pack providing too much current for your cart.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 09:07 AM   #8
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenaz007 View Post
Finally I have read where I may or may not need to bypass the BMS, one suggestion was to wire the battery and see if it works without any other changes, if it doesn't bypass the BMS.
I think you mean bypass the OBC as you definitely don’t want to bypass the BMS. Yes, you will have to bypass the OBC on your Precedent.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car