lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2021, 01:14 PM   #1
DGKeowee
Not Yet Wild

Default Advantages-Disadvantages

I really don't know what or how to ask all I want to know, but I'll try to summarize. Perhaps there is a better place on the Forum to post a general overal Brand/Model pro's and con's question, but I could not find it. Please educate me if I'm in error.

I'm looking at purchasing a 48volt cart 2017 or newer Yamaha Drive2, Club Car Precedent or EZGO RXV. These seem to be the most pleasing and affordable to some degree. I think I would like an AC Motor since we live on the lake with some hills in neighborhood. Also lights, rear fold down seat are desired. Primary use would be riding on the streets (doesn't have to be street legal) but I lean toward the look of the sightly lifted carts (2-3") with All Terrain tires with 12-14" rims. Just don't want the tires to rub if I use it in my yard going over bumps.
Sidebar: I tested out a 2017 Yamaha Drive2 with Hitachi DC Motor and took it back because it seems to struggle on the hills with me, my wife and dog. Plus they told me it was an AC motor and found out it clearly was not. However, that was a blessing because I had not done my homework/research first.
So here I am - your student. Educate me.

QUESTIONS:
-What are the advantages or disadvantages to the any of the main 3 mfgs: Yamaha Drive2 vs Club Car Precedent vs EZGO RXV? (One Yamaha / Club Car dealer told me to stay away from Yamaha if I wanted any lift on it and he's a dealer!).
-What would you say are the primary problems with each model to watch out for?
-Do all AC Motors have a 4x12volt battery set ups? All the RXVs I've seen with AC Motors seem to have that 4x12volt setup. Is this standard or just something the dealer is doing to save some money?
-Is there a particular brand of Motor to stay away from or to look for as a preference?
-How do I know I'm getting the right charger for my used/refurbed cart?
-What is the largest size rims/tires you can put on any of these carts without lifting them and them rubbing (assuming 3 adults or around 700lbs)?
-Do you recommend for or against the All-Terrain tires and lift idea?
-It seems everybody and their brother is getting in the golf cart business and mainly doing cosmetic upgrades. How do I make sure I'm not getting a lemon underneath the cosmetics or a cart that is going to have issues?
-Any other educative advice you can lend?

Let's start here and go from there. Thanks in advance.
DGKeowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2021, 02:32 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Advantages-Disadvantages

There are definitely AC Drive2s, that's all we order.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:43 PM   #3
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I am not an expert, but I will give you my opinion.
-If you want electric, CC & EZgo been doing electric for decades, Yamaha main carts are gas, but I think they make good electric carts. Why would you want to lift cart if you drive mostly on roads?
-I don't think as a whole, any of these brands have any major problems. CC & EZgo parts will probably be easier/cheaper to get.
-Not sure as to the 4 x 12v question. Do know that you get better/longer performance from 6x8v or 8 x 6v. But...48volts is 48volts.
-All these companies seem to use good/reliable motors..this should not be a concern/
-If you get a 48v cart, need to get a 48v charger...they usually come with the cart, so this isn't something you will have a choice about (normally).
-That would be determined by which cart you get...Cart before the horse thing.
-I don't recommend lift/all terrain if most driving around neighborhood. Lift can make driving squirrely and terrian tires aren't as smooth.
-Look for battery condition/age (biggest expense), Check dates and take a voltmeter when you go look. Good set of batteries are $1,000 - $1,600. Then look at condition of cables/connections. Look at frame for bad rust thru, although a cart that is only 3-4 years old shouldn't have much at all of rusting unless you live near the coast.
- I think that what is going to determine the cart you get depends on what used carts are out there for sale. Try to get the best deal on comparable carts and you can upgrade things later as they wear out or you desire the changes.

These are only my opinions if I where looking to buy a cart. Hope it helps...Good luck.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:47 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

This question has been asked many times over the years which is why you can go to google and search which cart is best and fine many many BGW threads spouting the answer which is basically ford vs chevy if you know what I mean. GLWTS
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:53 PM   #5
DGKeowee
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
I am not an expert, but I will give you my opinion.
-If you want electric, CC & EZgo been doing electric for decades, Yamaha main carts are gas, but I think they make good electric carts. Why would you want to lift cart if you drive mostly on roads?
-I don't think as a whole, any of these brands have any major problems. CC & EZgo parts will probably be easier/cheaper to get.
-Not sure as to the 4 x 12v question. Do know that you get better/longer performance from 6x8v or 8 x 6v. But...48volts is 48volts.
-All these companies seem to use good/reliable motors..this should not be a concern/
-If you get a 48v cart, need to get a 48v charger...they usually come with the cart, so this isn't something you will have a choice about (normally).
-That would be determined by which cart you get...Cart before the horse thing.
-I don't recommend lift/all terrain if most driving around neighborhood. Lift can make driving squirrely and terrian tires aren't as smooth.
-Look for battery condition/age (biggest expense), Check dates and take a voltmeter when you go look. Good set of batteries are $1,000 - $1,600. Then look at condition of cables/connections. Look at frame for bad rust thru, although a cart that is only 3-4 years old shouldn't have much at all of rusting unless you live near the coast.
- I think that what is going to determine the cart you get depends on what used carts are out there for sale. Try to get the best deal on comparable carts and you can upgrade things later as they wear out or you desire the changes.

These are only my opinions if I where looking to buy a cart. Hope it helps...Good luck.
Good stuff man. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2021, 04:34 PM   #6
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

It's worth what it cost ya!
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:10 PM   #7
DGKeowee
Not Yet Wild

I just looked at an 2017 RXV with AC Motor. The guy hooked up his diagnostic gadget and it says the motor has 167 hours on it. How many hours do AC Motors last?
Old 01-27-2021, 05:22 PM   #8
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Long time. AC motors are brushless. All electric RXVs are AC. Yamaha and Club Car have AC carts also. In fact Yamaha has stopped using DC motors all together in the new carts.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:06 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

167 hours is probably only 3000 miles. Not much at all. No brushes to wear out on these so they should last a long time.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:14 AM   #10
DGKeowee
Not Yet Wild

I wound up missing out on this one but found one at a dealer with 600 hours and got to pick all my options. I take delivery in 2-3 weeks. Thanks for the input, it helped!!!

Tags
drive2, precedent, rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha