lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2021, 11:17 PM   #1
AussieInSeattle
Getting Wild

Default Build Thread - 120Ah LifePo4 - 40 mile range for less than $1200?

As the title says this will be my build thread for a lithium pack based on LifePo4 cells for a 2011 Club Car Precedent. I started planning this build almost a year ago when I first saw the post by Sergio and his approach of using a bunch of relays, a cheap BMS and leaf cells. Up until then it all seemed a bit too hard and expensive for me - huge thanks to Sergio for helping me out with various questions in that thread - if you are thinking about doing a similar build to this, read that thread first:
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=160302

By luck in mid to late 2020 LifePo4 cells dropped a lot in price if you were prepared to wait for them via Alibaba. I had originally planned on using cells from a US based seller but at under half the price for Alibaba cells I bit the bullet and purchased 16 120Ah Higee cells for USD$838 shipped to Seattle - basic specs were:
- 16 120Ah cells - $589 + $249 shipping (which took 2 months)
- 32 busbars included (so you can double them up)
- 2C (240Amps) continuous discharge
- 3C (360Amps) discharge for 30 seconds
- 4000-5500 cycles depending on charge/discharge approach
- normal weight savings you get with Lithium (16 cells are about 100lbs)
While BGW is great for cart builds, I used the equally great https://diysolarforum.com/ to research which seller to use on Alibaba (look for XUBA thread where everyone was buying 280Ah cells). If you are thinking of going this same route I suggest you research on that forum for what cells and sellers people are currently using for their solar setups as it is constantly changing. That forum is setup by Will Prowse who has great battery/solar videos on youtube.

Based on getting cells for $838 my added goal was a sub $1000 build for the main parts - I'm not going to hit sub $1000 and have added some nicer components like a renogy battery meter - I think I'll end up around the $1200 not including incidentals like wire, basic connectors and tools. Not a great savings over the RoyPow systems that are now available but I wanted a pack that could handle more continuous amps and I could fix myself should anything go wrong.

Attached are some pics of the first part of the build. I had to use a multi-tool to cut into the battery tub quite a lot in order for the planned pack arrangement to work - when arranged in a 2x8 config the cells take up about 13.5" deep x 15" wide x 7" tall. I started out by creating a battery box of sorts that kept the cells in place - I used a plywood base with mounting holes through to the frame, a chopping board on each end and threaded rod in between with pex tubing to cover the threaded rod - this "compression" approach is pretty widely used for these type of packs on boats and in teh solar world.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.battery-packaging.jpg (186.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2.cutting-tub.jpg (376.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3.dry-fit-batteries.jpg (257.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4.battery-base.jpg (277.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 5.battery-box.jpg (157.1 KB, 0 views)
AussieInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2021, 11:39 PM   #2
AussieInSeattle
Getting Wild

Default Re: Build Thread - 120Ah LifePo4 - 40 mile range for less than $1200?

Some more progress shots as I start on the box containing the relays and bms wired as per Sergios approach (see first post in this thread for details). My BMS wires are going to be too short so will be using a screw terminal block under the BMS to extend the wires - added benefit of this over soldering extension wires onto existing ones is that I can quickly change out the BMS in the future without having to disconnect anything on the battery terminals.

In the last pic you can see the shunt in place for the battery meter which is the Renogy 500Amp battery meter here:
https://amzn.to/2N12wZ9
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.battery-box-2.jpg (94.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 7.battery-box-3.jpg (274.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 8.planning-sidepanel.jpg (190.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 9.sidepanel-start.jpg (105.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 10.sidepanel-progress.jpg (392.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-13-2021, 12:35 AM   #3
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Thanks for the link to https://diysolarforum.com/

It looks like a great place to research lithium batteries from the solar perspective. After having a quick review on some of the lithium sections, there appears to be other lithium suppliers to consider that aren't known to many of the BGW members.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:47 AM   #4
AussieInSeattle
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
Thanks for the link to https://diysolarforum.com/

It looks like a great place to research lithium batteries from the solar perspective. After having a quick review on some of the lithium sections, there appears to be other lithium suppliers to consider that aren't known to many of the BGW members.
No worries - some really great info on that forum about all things lithium but most members dont know much about golf cart applications - check out the site owners youtube channel too: https://www.youtube.com/c/WillProwse/

I was originally looking at buying (rebranded) Frey cells from these guys:
https://www.electriccarpartscompany....ncased-Battery
Old 01-13-2021, 10:13 AM   #5
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Clean work; very nice!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:18 AM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Can't wait to see the finished product!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:25 AM   #7
morvolts2
Gone Wild

I like the bright blue "cutting board".
I was able to procure a 4x8 sheet of HDPE for building boxes
Cost was $45 including shipping from Polymer Shapes Plastic.

just a thought on pricing,if you bought more would the shipping go down? It seems a little steep at 30% going to shipping.
morvolts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:07 PM   #8
AussieInSeattle
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvolts2 View Post
I like the bright blue "cutting board".
I was able to procure a 4x8 sheet of HDPE for building boxes
Cost was $45 including shipping from Polymer Shapes Plastic.

just a thought on pricing,if you bought more would the shipping go down? It seems a little steep at 30% going to shipping.
Thanks for the HDPE suggestion - what thickness do you use for the end pieces? The cutting board does flex a little when I tighten the nuts so I may change to HDPE - do yours flex or do you have a different design? Tap Plastics (local to me) website was much more than $45 from memory which is why I went the cutting board route - it was $10 for a 15"x20"x1/2" cutting board and I sliced it in half to create two 15"x10" pieces.

Shipping from China is all over the place at the moment due to COVID. $250 is about right I believe - its usually based on weight (100lbs for my 16 120Ah cells) and not a percentage cost of the cells. I also found alibaba to be a lot cheaper than aliexpress for cells. If you do some specific searches on that diysolarforum (shipping?) you'll find what people have been paying for x number of cells. I've seen $1600 shipped for 16 280Ah cells which would likely get you 100 miles of range :-). Someone on here (or maybe diysolarforum) has done the 280Ah pack with a chargery bms.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:11 PM   #9
morvolts2
Gone Wild

Im using 1/8" as I have a space constraints problem.
They had 1/4" in stock for about same price(no shipping added to it)
but its that close on this build that the extra 1/4" wont fit in the frame.
I will cut it out of 1 piece,fold it and weld the sides to make the box.
Ive been using marine battery boxes and cutting 3 of them making 2,
by welding them together.I think the new ones will look a little cleaner

this was only pic I had,temporary strap etc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200905_173352.jpg (197.6 KB, 0 views)
morvolts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:08 AM   #10
badankle
Not Yet Wild

nice work ! Aussie
I have been watching the prices for those cells too { 3.2 100 amp to 280 amp}
Between Alibaba and Ali Express the price can vary? Watch the delivery chargers and the grade of cells { New cells or Used }.I find that it can be tricky because what you think you may be buying isn't what you are buying ,,, read carefully. The cells are dropping in price daily too !!!. Competition for your business in China is strong. https://www.youtube.com/c/WillProwse
https://diysolarforum.com/
I agree with Aussie ,,, great places to check out
badankle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car