lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #11
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Loose wires on FNR switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbrock3 View Post
The whole thing is going to get replaced because the nuts that hold the wires pretty much welded themselves on. So the wires are going to get replaced as well. I was going to stop by the local auto zone and pick up a roll of wire and make my own wires. Any suggestions on gauge or type of wire to replace the old ones?
When you say that the nuts welded; Are you saying that you can't get the cables loose? Doug pointed you in the right direction on the 14G wire but I would replace the cables also. The overheating probably damaged the cable ends also. You can get a 4G welding cable set from any of our sponsors for a decent price. The money spent is well worth it. Keep us posted
Fleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #12
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck View Post
When you say that the nuts welded; Are you saying that you can't get the cables loose? Doug pointed you in the right direction on the 14G wire but I would replace the cables also. The overheating probably damaged the cable ends also. You can get a 4G welding cable set from any of our sponsors for a decent price. The money spent is well worth it. Keep us posted
Brain fart! If you are talking about biulding your own battery cables from regular automotive battery cable; Don't because the time and money spend isn't worth it. Welding cable is far superior to the automotive cable.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #13
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck View Post
Brain fart! If you are talking about biulding your own battery cables from regular automotive battery cable; Don't because the time and money spend isn't worth it. Welding cable is far superior to the automotive cable.
Speaking of brain fart, I thought he meant the control wiring so I recommended 14ga. If you're doing the battery cables, Fleck is right, 4ga welding cable is the answer. Although not the cheapest on the net, here is where they have everything including lugs and crimpers https://weldingsupply.securesites.co...EF367352::::PA

I also recommend you check with our sponsors that keep this site alive.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:32 PM   #14
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
Speaking of brain fart, I thought he meant the control wiring so I recommended 14ga. If you're doing the battery cables, Fleck is right, 4ga welding cable is the answer. Although not the cheapest on the net, here is where they have everything including lugs and crimpers https://weldingsupply.securesites.co...EF367352::::PA

I also recommend you check with our sponsors that keep this site alive.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php
Thanks alot for the link. Now I have alot of "SPLAINING" to do about all the packages being dropped of by the brown truck! Seriously; Thanks. I've been searching for an enexpensive lug crimper and know I found one.... and then some. THANKS DOUG! I'M GONNA BLAME YOU

Last edited by Fleck; 07-24-2009 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: Brain fart
Old 07-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #15
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I hope they appreciate the work I'm about to do for them. I told my dad about upgrading to the 48 volts while I'm in there. Should have waited till mom wasn't around cause she didn't like the idea. It's not like she'll ever know though...

How do I go from 'Not yet wild' to 'Gone Wild' ?
I believe its 200 posts to "Gone Wild". Keep posting questions and pass along your knowledge and it doesn't take long.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #16
cpbrock3
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So check out the pictures of the bolts on the FNR switch. They are not coming off. The wires are going to have to be cut and replaced. From what you guys claim, I need to go with the welding cable. They are getting free labor, minus beer, so spending a little more on the good stuff is still saving them money.

I'm still trying to convince them to go with some upgrades though. They live on 7 acres and my mom uses the cart for moving hoses and sprinklers to water her trees and what not. But look at the pics of the back of the cart. The back seat lifts up and there is trunk space in there where she was storing her sprinklers. Looks like the perfect place for more batteries to me. So, I'm thinking about telling her that the only way to make it work again is to add a couple more batteries and change some parts out. I'll tell her that she is going to lose her trunk space, BUT, I will add a tow hitch and put together a small trailer for her so she doesn't have to store her stuff under the seat.

She would appreciate the trailer space and the extra torque while going uphill is what I'm thinking.

200 posts to be in the wild league. Sounds like my account over on the iboats.com forums.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0645.JPG (43.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0654.JPG (36.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0652.JPG (38.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0655.JPG (22.9 KB, 8 views)
cpbrock3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #17
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

Quote:
So check out the pictures of the bolts on the FNR switch. They are not coming off. The wires are going to have to be cut and replaced. From what you guys claim, I need to go with the welding cable. They are getting free labor, minus beer, so spending a little more on the good stuff is still saving them money.

I'm still trying to convince them to go with some upgrades though. They live on 7 acres and my mom uses the cart for moving hoses and sprinklers to water her trees and what not. But look at the pics of the back of the cart. The back seat lifts up and there is trunk space in there where she was storing her sprinklers. Looks like the perfect place for more batteries to me. So, I'm thinking about telling her that the only way to make it work again is to add a couple more batteries and change some parts out. I'll tell her that she is going to lose her trunk space, BUT, I will add a tow hitch and put together a small trailer for her so she doesn't have to store her stuff under the seat.

She would appreciate the trailer space and the extra torque while going uphill is what I'm thinking.

200 posts to be in the wild league. Sounds like my account over on the iboats.com forums.
Put a fork in that thing because "IT'S DONE" Sounds like You want to upgrade the cart and not the folks. As far as "free" labor; I don't know you but you're a free man (not in jail and love your folks or you wouldn't be posting) so your folks must of taught you well. How I look at is as a parent you provide the best of everything for your child that you can manage. As a son that got that; Time to give it back. As far as putting extra batteries in that storage area; It looks like a good spot but bolt the cover down so mom doesn't throw a spinkler or any metal garden tools in there and make a bad thing happen.Just my 2 cents...
Old 07-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #18
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Good call Fleck
Not wanting to take the wind out of your sails or put a negative spin on anyone who wants to upgrade a cart for more speed and power, BUT....

If it is really your Mom's cart that she pulls hoses around with on 7 acres and also does a little running around, I'm not so sure that upgrading this is such a great idea. These carts in their stock form are truly bulletproof and any mods you make to it will affect it's reliability, the more radical, the more reliability issues. Even if you paid for all the mods and it cost you Mom nothing it still may not be right for her.
It sounds like it's basically a workhorse and maybe should be left that way for your Mom's long term use.

If you're wanting to "hot rod" a cart, my suggestion would be to find another cart on the cheap and go hog wild with it as a father/son project and when your cart is on blocks for it's umpteenth repair/upgrade you can always rely on Mom's "Old Faithful" to get you there.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:25 AM   #19
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

I agree Hot Rodding your mom's cart ant the answer here. Fixing it and doing good maintance is. Keep all the nuts and screw tight.If this is done then you will not have very many problems. Electrical devices cause heat. Heat stretches things in the process so even if everything is OK today in a month you need to check them again.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO