lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Old Resistor Cart

Looks like a Melex. Pic of the whole dash and floor area would help ....... There is an ID tag just under the passenger side glove box on the hump in the floor
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #12
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Looks like a Melex. Pic of the whole dash and floor area would help ....... There is an ID tag just under the passenger side glove box on the hump in the floor
I'll check when I get home, and get some quality pics. Thanks
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #13
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Is there any reason why a Powerwise charger would not work for this old cart?
Old 03-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #14
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I am not a sparkler guy. Is this a good choice as a tow vehicle?
Resister carts use full amps at all times, some is wasted off as heat from the coils.
Even tho moving around slow the cart will be drawing off full charge.
Just thinnen.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #15
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Honestly, that is a cool cart. Is the coils in the center of the batteries ? I find resistor easy to work on and cheaper to fix. you are gonna waste alot of energy going at slow speeds and you may want to keep the lift, drop the tire size and put wheel spacers to increase the pulling power and stability. Not sure about the charger, but if the batteries are shot and wiring is what it is, the charger will not come on if the batteries are completely dead. New 4gag cables will improve the "pull" of the cart.
joe
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The powerwise charger will work if you change the charger cord to the old style Crows Foot ( / \ )..... The resistor is NOT a good choise to tow anything because the the speed wiper board will prolly melt sooner or later from all the heat..... and yes Dooms they do draw 100% of the available battery pack amperage every time you touch the gas. The reason you go slow is because the resistor coils waste what is not being used.... If you had a little money to put into it, I would convert it to solid state and enjoy the retro look
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #17
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

SO, a couple of things in regards to the last two posts.

So this guy just went and bought a cart, his co-worker is my neighbor, my neighbor knows I repair carts as a side business and I have repaired his. My neighbor tells the co-worker to talk to me and I would help him find what he needs........ 3 weeks later, this beast just shows up at my door... with no advice from me given. He liked the big tires....

This thing is a BEAST.. as you will see later on. He wanted to spend no more than $1500.00 but the big tires wooed him... So he bought this cart and it is in ROUGH shape. Needs all new wiring which I will replace with 4ga. Battery tray is toast, corrosion galore... needs new batteries and did not come with a charger. I advised him that this is not the best setup for what he wants to do and walked through the entire costs of upgrading motor, controller, solenoid, pb-6 batteries, etc... plus my labor, which by the time we were done put him over $3k. As I picked him back up off of the floor....

We agreed to see if I can get it at least running and go from there....... So now we are on to replacing the solenoid, wires and batteries.. I have found him a charger off of craigslist for $100.00... So now we are not looking at upgrading, but simply getting it running and he will live with it knowing it's not ideal.

I initially didn't want to deal with it because it's a mess, but the more I am around it the more intrigued I am. The kids and wife hate it because of the confederate flag and the chromed naked women cut outs on the mud flaps.... LOL...
Old 03-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #18
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

And here is the groovy beast!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3437.jpg (77.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3438.jpg (135.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3439.jpg (124.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3440.jpg (154.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3441.jpg (161.7 KB, 29 views)
Old 03-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #19
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

and here is the last one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3442.jpg (133.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #20
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

So it's not the solenoid, I jumped the two small terminals to the positive and negative of the pack and it clicks, and runs regards if the pedal is depressed so now i need to figure out if the throttle switch and key switch is bad.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO