lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Throwing in the towel - Need ideas 88 Electrical

Well, after going crazy trying to chase down and fix intermittent spark and inconsistant voltage issues, I've decided to just fix ALL the potential electrical issues at once ... I have tested the Pulsar (and it ohms out fine) and I tried the coil on another cart (again, just fine) SO here's what I have coming in the next few days - can anyone think of anything I missed?

New Solenoid
New Regulator
New Keyswitch
New Accelerator Switch
GM HEI Module

I also plan on redoing each and every electrical connection with new spade connectors/wiring/etc as I install the new stuff - before I jump in though is there anything else I have missed? I'm also planning on cleaning all the big connectors (battery, generator, ground, etc) on my 88 Marathon ???

If THIS doesn't solve the problem, I'm giving up
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
WGW Foods
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Throwing in the towel - Need ideas 88 Electrical

I also have a 88 Marathon mine runnes great if you are still having problums after all that you can look at mine and see if we can see eny diferances in the wiring.
WGW Foods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Thanks, WGW - I "should" be OK as the cart has been running like a top for awhile, something (?) electrical just went haywire and after a coil replacement was good again for a few days, now it's a mess again ... I plan on taking my time and doing it all top to bottom with all new, cleaned, etc components - although it looks like you're in WI too, maybe it would be safe to take a peek over a six-pack, JUST to be safe !!!
Old 08-28-2010, 04:39 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

When I rebuilt my 86 I noticed that the insulation on the wires from the pulsar was perished and cracked to the extent that I could see the conductor. It might be worth getting underneath with some isopropyl alcohol to clean and inspecting for a short or a ground if the grommet in the fan cover is damaged / missing. From your symptoms it could be an intermittant connection. Also have a look at the connector from the pulsar to the rest of the circuit, mine was kind of nasty. Don't give up that's a damned handsome cart you have.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
WGW Foods
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I am in Lyons just up the roed from you. My cart and I will be at Walworth fair for the next week.
WGW Foods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Up the road? I'M in Lyons, right off Spring Valley and South Rd (Mill St) - small world! I'll PM you my number!
Old 08-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
Ol Jake
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Lightbulb Re: Throwing in the towel - Need ideas 88 Electrical

BCM,

Put the rear up on jack stands in your garage, then with the lights off and as dark as you can make it, run the thing a bit. You'd be surprised what a light show they will put on sometimes.

Now of course ya don't want to be doing this for long peroids, unless your ready to check out, but many a short or bad wire has been found this way.

The other thing is don't overlook your ground wires and their connections to the frame. My old 82 started runnin poorly and acting up once in a while. It turned out the ground wire was shot and had a bad connection.

A mechanic friend was the one that pointed me in that direction, cause I tried everything and was about to drop it in his lap. He really didn't want me or my Kart parked in his garage, so he said try this first.

We were both happy I followed his direction.....
Ol Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Jake: I'll give the 'ol "darkness trick" a shot once i get her running again, just to double-check everything (I had an old Triumph that literally shot arcs out of the coil so I know where you're coming from!) ... Today I pulled all the heavy wires (including the ground, etc) and wire brushed the hell outta them with contact cleaner, etc as well as replaced a couple of connectors that were basically shot (or looked that way) ...

Also redid the accel switch, keyswitch, coil mount and wiring (just so I can say everything is new when I install all the new parts) - I can say, though that the connections on the regulator are so rusty and corroded I'm going to have to cut off the wires and remake them when the new one comes, so that may have something to do with the problem too.

I'll pay special attention to the ground, thanks for the tip!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO