lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
bumblebeecart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Crankshaft bearings on 79 EZGO

My 79 EZGO will only run when the choke is pulled. I have been told that I need to check the cranshaft bearings. I assume that means just check for play in the bearings and I also assume I will need to pull the engine to properly do this. Is this accurate? I have also been told that getting parts for the 79 2 stroke is difficult. Any suggestions? Thanks
bumblebeecart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Crankshaft bearings on 79 EZGO

All the information that you have been given is on the target but missed the bulls eye. The symptoms you describe could be caused by worn crankshaft seals (not bearings) You can test the rear seal by jacking it up and starting the engine. Now with someone running it at a fast idle squirt some WD40 on the rear seal between the clutch and the engine block. If the engine note changes or if the speed changes then you have a worn rear seal. You cannot test the front seal as it is hidden by the flywheel but if the rear is worn so is the front.
Another good test is to grab the drive clutch and try to lift the engine. Watch the crankshaft and observe any movement of the shaft relative to the block. If there is even the slightest of movement your bearings are shot and so is the seal.
Many of the parts for the pre 1980 2PG are indeed obsolete but the bearings and seals are available just search the website of any forum sponsor. You should, however, be aware that your engine requires a special EZGO tool to remove the flywheel.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
bumblebeecart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Crankshaft bearings on 79 EZGO

Thanks, I will do those tests and see.
bumblebeecart is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO