lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #21
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: On board charger mounting experiment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter450 View Post
Just an observation but the cord reel is rated for 15amps @125VAC. Charger pulls ~20amps, if the reel is fused protected it may be troublesome.
Sergio is correct, and that is one of the issues that pushed me into the 15a rated 12/3 reel...
dannyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-05-2016, 09:26 AM   #22
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Talked to Lester today and they told me that there was no need to disconnect the OBC and that both charging systems can stay intact as long as they are not both plugged in at the same time. They also told me that the third wire, a blue wire, was for the lockout circuit, but that it was a pain to wire it, so not to worry about it. Enlightening conversation....
Old 12-05-2016, 09:36 AM   #23
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyre View Post
Talked to Lester today and they told me that there was no need to disconnect the OBC and that both charging systems can stay intact as long as they are not both plugged in at the same time. They also told me that the third wire, a blue wire, was for the lockout circuit, but that it was a pain to wire it, so not to worry about it. Enlightening conversation....
I found the Lester tech team shockingly lacking in the safety interlock support department Our own Sergio has deciphered what is needed and how it should be implemented safely and correctly where the factory techs just muddled around the outside of the challenge. Thank you Sergio for your support on BGW.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #24
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I found the Lester tech team shockingly lacking in the safety interlock support department Our own Sergio has deciphered what is needed and how it should be implemented safely and correctly where the factory techs just muddled around the outside of the challenge. Thank you Sergio for your support on BGW.
I am going to pm Sergio and make the circuit active anyway. They provide a wire for the system to be installed, so I'm going to install it. After all, I do have a 16 year old and a 10 year old that both drive the cart....
Old 12-05-2016, 10:19 AM   #25
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Exactly - the cart and the charger have the capacity to utilize this safety system... the only thing lacking is the manufacture's support.
Rather than PM perhaps you can ask Sergio to help you on the open board where it is easier for him to post attachments and we can all benefit from the discussion

PS mine works great - I even put a warning light in the dash and an intermittent beeper alarm that go off if you turn the key on with the charger plugged in, Plus the cart won't run. Works great - no mistaking the intent.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:24 PM   #26
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Is there any way to wire in the safety circuit using a DPI charger and a XCT controller?
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:59 PM   #27
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The simple "resistor" wiring on post #16 is all you really need for an IQ or Excel cart.

It also works for the DPI charger, but You need to connect the "sense" wire on the DPI DC cord to the negative wire inside the DPI charger.

The diagram I was going to post was for Series carts or if you have a controller that does not have a "logic level" interlock input (the XCT does have a "logic level" interlock input).

The other circuit using the relay would also let You add an audible/visual indicator, like scottyb did, to let You know why the cart does not work when you turn the key ON while the charger is still plugged.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:55 PM   #28
garysmith39555
Getting Wild

Club Car

Just curious, and please don't think I'm a s/a, but could you please list all the advantages of having an on board charger?
garysmith39555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:45 PM   #29
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysmith39555 View Post
Just curious, and please don't think I'm a s/a, but could you please list all the advantages of having an on board charger?
Simple for me. We take our cart everywhere, kids to school, dinner, doctors appointments, out to eat, major all day events like Mardi Gras, Dickens on the Strand, Biker weekend etc. Since we are on it all day and sometimes night for great distances, having an on board charger that I can just pull up and plug in to charge helps greatly. Gives us the security of knowing all we need is a 110 outlet and we're set. Carrying a normal charger with two kids and all our stuff is pretty much impossible. The nice thing about this setup is that it uses your stand alone charger like normal when home, and on board charger when away...
Old 12-05-2016, 09:14 PM   #30
garysmith39555
Getting Wild

Club Car

Gotcha!
garysmith39555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car