lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2017, 09:07 PM   #31
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: what is wrong with these battery readings?

I'm surprised no one caught that the discharge test was not done correctly.

After the unit has shut off, turn the unit back on and check individual battery voltages, that will tell you if you have an issue.

I do agree that the discharge of new batteries if not the best thing to do in the first place. Id say you don't have a battery issue, and maybe jumping to conclusions too soon. I see this a lot, but the percentage of a new battery failure is very low.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2017, 09:15 PM   #32
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

The original numbers i posted, was taken after the unit shut off, and i then turned it back on and took the readings. Just the way described in the instructions.
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:18 PM   #33
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey tennis shoe View Post
The original numbers i posted, was taken after the unit shut off, and i then turned it back on and took the readings. Just the way described in the instructions.

Then I wouldn't worry about it, your good.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:50 AM   #34
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I guess that explains why nobody caught the discharge test was done improperly
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:07 AM   #35
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey tennis shoe View Post
right now overnite temperature is freezing, its 50 degrees!!
Ha Ha ha. Everyday is short pants and tee shirt, thats the work uniform of the desert.
Batteries have a huge thermal mass, so they tend to stay cooler than the daytime air temperature and Trojan batteries have about 10% less storage capacity for every 15°F they are below 80°F.

The combination of not being fully broken in and being cooler than 80°F may be why the range wasn't up to par.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #36
jaacee44
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

have question along same line,, have 8 6 V batt,s voltage reading on each after chg,ing all night and setting for an hour or so is from 6.39 to 6.47 sp gravity is very high on each batt. 1.300 or whatever reading is at the top of hydrometer,, batt. pack 51.4 after setting an hour or so. when you take caps off after setting for hour there is still slight bubbling. was told i need batt,s is this so ?? i kneel to your expert advise thx JC
jaacee44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #37
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaacee44 View Post
have question along same line,, have 8 6 V batt,s voltage reading on each after chg,ing all night and setting for an hour or so is from 6.39 to 6.47 sp gravity is very high on each batt. 1.300 or whatever reading is at the top of hydrometer,, batt. pack 51.4 after setting an hour or so. when you take caps off after setting for hour there is still slight bubbling. was told i need batt,s is this so ?? i kneel to your expert advise thx JC
An hour isn't long enough fro the surface charge to dissipate, needs about 12 hours rest to get an valid At-Rest voltage reading.

What make/model hygrometer? (Some hygrometers read high if too much electrolyte is aspirated into them.)
What is temperature of the electrolyte? (Unless the hygrometer is the temperature compensated type, 0.0004 has to be subtracted for each 10°F below 80°F.)

The bubbling will often continue for quite a while. Small bubbles of hydrogen and oxygen gasses form on the plates during the charge, and it takes time for them to merge into a bubble big enough to break free from the plates and raise to the surface, so bubbling continues after charging stops.

When the batteries no longer provide acceptable performance from the cart, it is time to replace batteries and it is up to you to decide what is or what isn't acceptable performance.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car