lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2017, 09:40 AM   #1
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Question Speed fluctuation

1997-99 CC DS 48 volt Series

I have developed a speed fluctuation problem. It seems to have started after allowing the cart to sit more than usual, unused. I have been keeping it hooked up to a battery tender though. It started when I would be driving it with the accelerator floored on level road and it would suddenly slow down to about 5 or so mph. It would continue at a reduced speed for a while and then suddenly speed up again. It used to do that when I first drove it after sitting a while. Two days ago, it started doing it several times for extended periods of time when I drove it about 10 miles round trip. I tried pumping the accelerator a few times to see if maybe it was a contact problem or maybe a stuck solenoid. Not sure if that would even relate to it, but it was worth a try. The batteries are in great shape and clean. I have replaced everything except the potentiometer and the solenoid. Since I have had it, I have replaced the controller, the batteries, battery cables, the F&R switch and even the 48 volt to 12 volt converter.

The potentiometer (is that the right name?) looks like it is held together by wire ties and could be loosely closed. The solenoid does not look old or new.
Looking for some suggestions as to what might be the most likely part to be replaced first.

Also, is there a more modern replacement for the potentiometer? Mine looks like a quarter pie shaped, clam shell with a metal accelerator rod and wires connected. Do they make a more modern replacement for it, or am I going to have replace it with the same part?

I have a 400amp controller that replaced the old 125amp which I replaced about 2 years ago. Would I need to go to a heavy duty solenoid for that controller, or is the standard solenoid sufficient?

This cart came with the home, so even though the serial says it is a 1997, I believe it has some 1999 parts. A sort of Frankencart. When it ran fine, it would move along at about 23-25mph.

By the way, even after driving it about 10 miles or so, the battery meter still shows the middle of the white on the analog battery/voltage meter.
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Speed fluctuation

I've decided to rebuild my potentiometer so I ordered some parts.

I've not decided on the solenoid yet, so I will wait on that. I'm not sure that my problem has anything to do with that.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:40 PM   #3
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

Vglide ?

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ance-test.html

Yea, Heavy duty solenoid too

What type For/Rev SW you have ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-Vglide.jpg (175.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg 2-Vglide.jpeg (121.9 KB, 0 views)
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:20 AM   #4
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golferdave View Post
Vglide ?

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ance-test.html

Yea, Heavy duty solenoid too

What type For/Rev SW you have ?
Nice photos. Thanks.

I have the lever style F&R switch. Replaced it last year and it's still pretty stiff. Hasn't loosened up a bit, yet.
My solenoid appears to be the standard, stock solenoid....four post. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to be working OK since I can move forward and reverse OK. My problem seems to be the sudden reduction in speed on full throttle. On other speeds it seems to work correctly, just at full throttle it suddenly slows and then sometimes picks up again. I haven't pulled the potentiometer yet to study it, because I will have to pull a couple of batteries out of the way. I figured that I will wait for the parts to arrive to rebuild it. I am hoping that the resisters on mine can be reused because I don't have replacements. I did order a new brush and I have an extra (new) micro switch. I am hoping that either or both the brush and the contacts are either worn or tarnished real bad and by replacing them with new, will suffice it to get it working again properly. This is my rat rod, so it won't stop my wife from getting around on her newer golf cart.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:21 PM   #5
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

Could be an adjustment at full throttle too

Mine wasn't swinging all the way to the last contact, "0"Ωs position,

2 turns on the linkage from the pedal to the Vglide, made the linkage a tad longer
& now it goes to 0 Ωs
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1343854
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:51 AM   #6
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the info. I'll be using it. My parts to rebuild it should be in by the end of the week and I will yank the old one out and start rebuilding it. I do not want to pull it out right now, because I may forget something. I am going to try to reuse the resisters, since each one seems pretty expensive when purchasing them individually. I'll just clean them up and make sure they make good contact on the new box. I ordered a new brush for the "wiper." My case is broken and barely holding together so moisture may have gotten inside. I believe the original owner had totaled the cart at one time and had it put back together, rather than buy a new one. I am using it as my "rat rod." I have some photos posted somewhere on here. It is still a project in process. I need to update the photos to show it's current progress.

Like I said, once the parts come in this week, I'll post my effort to rebuild. Never done it before, so it will be a learning experience. I'm still thinking of replacing the solenoid to a heavy duty version, but am not sure if I would notice the difference. The stock one is good from 100-400 amps, I believe. I have a 400 amp controller that I installed. It gives me added torque for the 22x11x8 inch tires on the back and for going up the steep ramps exiting the tunnels in The Villages. We have tunnels going under the main roads here. This cart is used only for transportation. My wife's is stock and can be used for golf. Mine has a homemade combo, truck bed-passenger seat. I also have trailer tires on the front that are about 3.5 inches thin on the front, giving it that funny car look. When it is running optimal, it will do almost 25mph on a flat road. Legal limit here is 20mph for an unregistered golf cart.

Sorry about rambling on. Thanks for the assistance. Ain't this a great site?
Old 04-07-2017, 04:10 AM   #7
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

My parts arrived in the mail. New V-glide bones, cover and new wiper brush. Looks like I already have the correct micro-switch/limit switch(new) in my spare parts box. I plan to clean and reuse the resisters, since the price for replacements is crazy. Maybe if Radio Shack still carried electronic components, I could match them up, but I am just going to attempt to reuse the ones on the old V-glide.

Now, a quick question: The copper pads and brush have a new manufactured surface on them. Is it advisable polish them with some emery cloth for a clean surface or leave them as is?

Since I have never worked on one of these before, any tips or cautions would be welcome.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:09 PM   #8
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

That micro-switch should be a 3 tab. Be sure to use the common (C) and the Normally Closed (NC) tabs. It's easy to miss-wire.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:19 PM   #9
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sounds like you got yourself a cool, rat rod, beater, minoune, ect. When do we get to see pics?
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:09 AM   #10
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag50 View Post
That micro-switch should be a 3 tab. Be sure to use the common (C) and the Normally Closed (NC) tabs. It's easy to miss-wire.

Thanks, got it. I had a new one in my spare parts from when I was working on my f&r switch. Apparently, one of the three from it is the same as the switch on the V-glide.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car