lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #11
smithneeley
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Club Car Precedent randomly goes into limp mode

I tested the voltage on the motor side of the solenoid by attaching my probes to the solenoid terminal and the negative post of the main battery. It reads 50.4 volts. Apparently the solenoid is not disengaging even if it clicks like it is disengaging?
smithneeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #12
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It definitely can since the plunger that gets activated by the magnetic coil is not directly attached to the moving contact bridge assembly (it is typically a sleeve around the shaft).

Tap on the Solenoid with a rubber mallet or the hammer handle to see if the contacts release and the voltage on the Controller side drops a volt or so less than pack voltage.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:16 PM   #13
smithneeley
Not Yet Wild

Something I neglected to mention was that when I installed the solenoid I purchased a diode to go across the terminals of the solenoid. Based upon what Sergio said about the solenoid opening, I removed it. The cart has ran fine since. Good possibility I had it on backwards also. I appreciate everyone's help, looks like I have it running again.
smithneeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:11 PM   #14
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithneeley View Post
Something I neglected to mention was that when I installed the solenoid I purchased a diode to go across the terminals of the solenoid. Based upon what Sergio said about the solenoid opening, I removed it. The cart has ran fine since. Good possibility I had it on backwards also. I appreciate everyone's help, looks like I have it running again.
Need to get one and put it back on there..... The banded/striped end always goes towards the positive activation side (Blue Wire)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:32 PM   #15
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Sergio can answer better than me, but I'm thinking a diode backward would hold the solenoid engaged making your controller think you had a welded solenoid putting you into limp mode.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:58 PM   #16
lsmpd01
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Just took the cart for a drive. It ran fine for about a half of a mile so I pulled over and came to a complete stop. I turned the key off and waited a few second and turned it on. The cart was in limp mode. I turned the key off and on several more times and it is still in limp mode. The battery meter went down one bar. The solenoid disengages as soon as the cart comes to a stop. There is no sound when the key is turned off.

When I got home I felt the solenoid, the controller, the cables and the terminals, and the computer, nothing is hot. The motor is warm but not hot.
Did you ever solve your issue? My golf cart has similar issue as it will drive fine for 20-30 minutes and go to limp mode. It will then drain the battery trying to get it 1 mile back to the house. Checked batteries both with and w/o a load and the solenoid. I am stumped and don't want to start replacing controllers or motors when I am guessing.
thanks in advance,
lsmpd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 08:43 PM   #17
captt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
You said that turning the the key switch OFF/ON resets the problem, so it may be the more rare 3rd possible cause of the limp mode "Main Driver ON".

Next time the cart is in limp mode, stop the cart and listen very carefully to the Solenoid when You turn the key OFF to see if you hear it disengage.

By the way, what solenoid did you put in there and did You replace the diode on the solenoid coil?
Bumping this back to life as I have a 2012 48v CC Precedent doing similar. I have been working on, lifting and new tire/wheels but no issues have ever cropped up with electrics and motor. Haven't changed solenoid but the "Main Driver On" condition I wondered about while researching the sticky and threads. Mine goes into random limp mode usually after stopping for intersection but turn key off/on its back to normal and runs about 20. Batteries brand new and test as such. While troubleshooting I found 2 bad and 3 marginal batteries so replaced them with Trojan T875s this week. The random limp persists though. Charging seems on point. New OBC from David with Revolution recently. Changed speed sensor and MCOR. Still random limps. Batts charge as the should after new OBC and show full charge after completing cycle but immediately on driving it few hundred feet volts drop to 46.7 then rise a tad and it runs around 48. No noticeable volt change when limping that I have noticed. After rest returns to 50.1 usually. Ideas welcomed on what I should test next. Thanks
captt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 07:36 PM   #18
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Randomly going into limp mode while the cart is moving usually suggests the speed sensor is failing or the magnet is cracked. Make sure the sensor is clean and properly mounted, and the magnet is in good condition. If so replace the speed sensor and see if anything changes.

If everything else checks out then replace the solenoid.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 03:06 PM   #19
captt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Randomly going into limp mode while the cart is moving usually suggests the speed sensor is failing or the magnet is cracked. Make sure the sensor is clean and properly mounted, and the magnet is in good condition. If so replace the speed sensor and see if anything changes.

If everything else checks out then replace the solenoid.

Thanks much! On it. I changed sensor and magnet and still happens. Not that I didn't get a bad one though. It only drops into limp when you slow to stop or complete stop. Once key off and on and its rolling again it wont go into limp until you stop or creep very very slow. It seems now after studying and studying my volts on new batts that it may be losing .4 or so after coming to full charge and sitting overnight in climate controlled garage. Not sure its related but assuming it shouldn't lose any voltage w no use so wonder if that points to solenoid as well?
captt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car