lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2020, 08:03 PM   #1
Stevelundin
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 Club Car DS loud clicking

I've been visiting these threads for years, and I've always found so much help, but I cannot seem to find someone with my most recent problem. I have a 2001 Club Car DS. I replaced the batts about 1 month ago and everything ran and charged great except for a few small bugs. One of those bugs was a clicking sound that would usually last for about 5-10 seconds when I first started driving after a charge, but then stop and everything was good.

It now makes this noise all the time and it's quite loud and makes the cart shake-although it still moves and with decent power. I believe it's the solenoid over-reacting (it's definitely not something loose). It makes the noise whenever the pedal is depressed even a tiny bit (little enough for the cart to not move). As an added bonus when I plugged it back in, it is also no longer activating the charger at all.

I'm thinking it's either a bad solenoid or OBC- or perhaps a wiring issue. I tried an OBC reset to no avail and I'm hoping to just avoiding having to buy lots of different parts and hoping for the best. I've seen a few similar posts so I'm wondering if anyone can help me out.
Stevelundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2020, 08:23 PM   #2
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2001 Club Car DS loud clicking

what is your pack voltage ? and what is the voltage under load ?
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:44 PM   #3
Dlab
Gone Wild

If you have a pot box, the little relay or whatever is in there can go bad causing it to do what your describing.......I bypassed mine directly to the key key switch, just a thought, you might not have the same system
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:51 PM   #4
Stevelundin
Not Yet Wild

It's a 48V. I don't have a voltmeter, but I'm not terribly worried about the load since the batteries are June 2020 and had been charging perfectly (although I realize I may need to go grab a voltmeter).

What is the pot box you are talking about? How would I know if I have it and how would I bypass it?
Old 07-23-2020, 09:57 PM   #5
Dlab
Gone Wild

You probably don’t have the same setup as I do, but your symptoms seem to be a short from the throttle/pot box or whatever you have to the controller.....is it the solinoid your hearing clicking on and off constantly?
Old 07-23-2020, 10:08 PM   #6
Stevelundin
Not Yet Wild

I'm almost certain it's the solenoid making that sound. I don't know what else it could be- and it's way too weird that it'll make it continuously even while not moving (when the gas accelerator pedal is even slightly depressed). Is it possible this is just a loose connection somewhere?
Old 07-23-2020, 11:13 PM   #7
Stevelundin
Not Yet Wild

Just opened it up in the back and it’s definitely the solenoid clicking like crazy whenever I press the pedal.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:31 PM   #8
Dlab
Gone Wild

It’s a micro switch in whatever throttle assembly you have, or the go pedal itself. I bypassed mine directly to the key, just have to be careful to always turn the key off when not running.

It would normally click on and off when the go pedal was hit...... then started doing what your describing. Mines a hunting cart, so the less clicks the better. It only clicks from F to R now as long as the key is on. Key off, entire system off.

Some may not agree with my setup, but it’s killer in the woods......just turn the key off like you would a car every time you stop.....
Old 07-24-2020, 02:10 PM   #9
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlab View Post
It’s a micro switch in whatever throttle assembly you have, or the go pedal itself. I bypassed mine directly to the key, just have to be careful to always turn the key off when not running.

It would normally click on and off when the go pedal was hit...... then started doing what your describing. Mines a hunting cart, so the less clicks the better. It only clicks from F to R now as long as the key is on. Key off, entire system off.

Some may not agree with my setup, but it’s killer in the woods......just turn the key off like you would a car every time you stop.....
Dlab
I have a hunting cart too and a big solenoid that has a magnified click in the woods which I hate. I would like to start a thread to hear from ones smarter than me about pros and cons on what you have done. Appears to me your cart acts like a gas cart. I would like to get the real skinny on the need for a solenoid.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:34 PM   #10
Dlab
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter450 View Post
Dlab
I have a hunting cart too and a big solenoid that has a magnified click in the woods which I hate. I would like to start a thread to hear from ones smarter than me about pros and cons on what you have done. Appears to me your cart acts like a gas cart. I would like to get the real skinny on the need for a solenoid.
I sent you a PM. I think you still need the Solenoid no matter what. But I’ve trained myself and the wife to tun the key off as soon as the cart is stopped.

Before thIs mod of mine I would let off the go petal to cruise, then hit it again and hear the click. Going over small humps,trees,slowing down ect caused the solenoid to click every time I tapped the petal......like you said, that is loud in the woods. Now I can go straight to my stand/parking spot without any clicks of the solenoid until the key is turned off.

I love it for our purposes. But the OPs problems, which I had, led me to this great solution.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car