lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2020, 10:24 AM   #1
PattyV1
Not Yet Wild

Default Winter Storage Battery Suggestions

Hello I am wonder how everyone stores the 48 Golf Carts for Winter time here in the SNOW world. I think this is how I killed my last batteries I have a 2002 Club Car DS 48 volt. I use it occasionally but not as much as during the Summer months of course depending on the SNOW we get. Also has anyone found a better battery that seems to hold up better than the other.

Thanks
PattyV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-11-2020, 11:16 AM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Winter Storage Battery Suggestions

Welcome to BGW...if it's at home, just put it on the charger every now and then.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:53 AM   #3
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

It does not matter if it is winter or summer ... keep your battery pack charged!

To maximum battery life, do NOT allow your battery pack to be stored in a discharged condition. Storing your lead acid batteries in a discharged condition results in sulfates being formed on the plates ... which can permanently damage the batteries if left long enough.

Many BGW members charge there carts after each use ... on a daily basis if it was used daily ... even if it was a short period of use (e.g. 5 minutes).

If you store your cart without use, it is a good idea to monitor the battery pack voltage and perform a top up charge when the fully charged stabilized voltage drops by 0.2 volts.

If you are not into monitoring voltages ... charging your stored cart every 3 or 4 weeks should work ... as long as your parasite voltage losses are not too large.

On your question about the best battery to use ... it is a fully charged battery!

Good luck on your cart storage this winter and welcome to BGW.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:14 PM   #4
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Ditto!! Charged batteries are happy batteries! Be sure to only add water to charged batteries. Here is some tips:
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=81161
Old 11-11-2020, 02:16 PM   #5
PattyV1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replys I can monitor the batteries I am going to purchase a meter I can try & install to allow this to be a little easier than a Volt meter. I will do this manually monitor the batteries
PattyV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:18 PM   #6
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Patty, if you look at top left "Home", click on the Club Car section, the "Stickies" are threads that the smart folks that run this forum have deemed to be VERY helpful threads. Take a look and you will find a lot of helpful information about your cart and the love it needs to take care of you.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:57 PM   #7
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

48v trickle charger...This works great...

https://www.jbtools.com/save-a-batte...hoCwYIQAvD_BwE
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:09 PM   #8
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyV1 View Post
Thanks for the replys I can monitor the batteries I am going to purchase a meter I can try & install to allow this to be a little easier than a Volt meter. I will do this manually monitor the batteries
I really think you will be OK to just plug in charger every couple of weeks...batteries don't discharge that much unless you have some parasitic continuous draw. Just check water level around March.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:16 PM   #9
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyV1 View Post
Get one of these and you can tell if batteries need charging by walking by cart. I think all carts should have these type instead of the "bar type".

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car