lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-13-2020, 08:10 PM   #1
Electric kart
Not Yet Wild

Default Homemade electric kart

Hi I recently got a great deal on a homemade electric go kart that hadn’t been quite finished. It came with a fourthgen throttle, a box 4834 controller and a mars electric ne0708 motor and a simple on off switch. It’s not wired. I’m hoping someone can steer me in the right direction on how to find a wiring diagram for this.
Electric kart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-13-2020, 08:15 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Homemade electric kart

If Alltrax control just google the diagram online. If series it is a very simple set up. I would love to have one of these
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:19 PM   #3
Electric kart
Not Yet Wild

But I don’t understand how this system works. To power up the controller uses 12 volts and to power the engine uses between 24-72 volts? I will need two battery circuits? There are only 3 large terminals on the controller. Shouldn’t it have power and ground in from the high voltage battery circuit and power and ground to the motor? I’m a dealership automotive technician with decent electrical skill but this is totally different.
Old 11-13-2020, 08:24 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No, no no. You should have a 36 or 48 volt battery pack. A 36 or 48v solenoid. A directional selection switch and a motor. All in the same voltage as the battery pack.

Note there are 100 variations on this drive system. So don't freak out if something you have is different. I'm just saying the same voltage set up is the simplest. Other variations will work IF IF IF you can wrap your head around how the system works.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:40 PM   #5
Electric kart
Not Yet Wild

Where can I find literature that explains how this works? Can I just use a few 12v car batteries to power it?
Old 11-14-2020, 02:29 AM   #6
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric kart View Post
It came with a fourthgen throttle, a box 4834 controller and a mars electric ne0708 motor and a simple on off switch. It’s not wired. I’m hoping someone can steer me in the right direction on how to find a wiring diagram for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric kart View Post
There are only 3 large terminals on the controller.
I looks like you have yourself quite the project ... this may help to get you started.

You mention a 4834 controller that has only 3 large terminals.

I "assume" that this is an Alltrax NPX 4834 controller ... given the 3 terminals. Is this assumption correct?

If so, you can look up the technical information for this controller on the Alltrax website: https://alltraxinc.com/npx-products/

As I understand it, the NPX controller is a legacy product that was manufactured by Alltrax in about the 2007 period.

Find attached a few of the Alltrax files on the NPX controller for your reference including an example wiring diagram.

Is the Mars motor actually an ME0708?? If so:
This ME0708 is a Brush-Type, Permanent Magnet DC motor with very high efficiency. Capable of 4.8 KW continuous and 15 KW for 1 minute. For voltages from 12 to 48 VDC input and 100 amps continuous (300 amps for 1 minute). Designed for battery operated equipment. For more information, see the Performance Information section. Motor weight of 30 pounds.
See: http://www.evassemble.com/index.php?...roducts_id=129

One of the first things that you will need to determine is if the throttle, motor and controller are compatible with each other. As I understand it from my very quick review, the NPX controller is designed for use with a series motor ... you will need to confirm that if your is a permanent magnet motor, it is compatible. Same goes for the throttle and the controller ... they too need to be compatible. According to the spec, the NPX4834 must be specifically ordered for ITS, 0-5K or 5K-0 3 wire throttle sensors. You will need to confirm that your throttle and controller match up.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:39 AM   #7
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

This sounds like a big project for someone to tackle, especially without previous GC experience. You have to use golf cart deep cycle batteries, not car batteries, to the tune of a quantity of 6, 8 volt batteries. Count on about $800, plus core charge. You may want to consider getting a wiring harness versus attempting to create one on your own, depending on what your confidence level is with high current electrical systems. Please post up some pics of the cart, and do you mind sharing what you paid for it?
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:46 AM   #8
Electric kart
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for pointing this out threecw. This is my first problem and now i understand why this project was never completed. now i either need another controller or a series motor.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:11 AM   #9
Electric kart
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko47 View Post
This sounds like a big project for someone to tackle, especially without previous GC experience. You have to use golf cart deep cycle batteries, not car batteries, to the tune of a quantity of 6, 8 volt batteries. Count on about $800, plus core charge. You may want to consider getting a wiring harness versus attempting to create one on your own, depending on what your confidence level is with high current electrical systems. Please post up some pics of the cart, and do you mind sharing what you paid for it?

Let me give you my background. i started fixing my own flat tires and other repairs on my motorcycles when i was a boy. I'm 35 now. when i was 14 i started working in motorcycle shops to fund my hobby and learn to work on the bikes. First engine rebuild in my teens. i replaced the heads on my first car 1989 mustang gt when i was 17 and did my first engine swap on my 240sx Nissan at 18. i then started doing engine upgrades to honda cars swapping vtec heads and making custom wiring harnesses. I spent a lot of time maintaining my dirtbikes and racing them. More recently i worked at gpny go kart facility when i went to drive the karts and realized they had been improperly maintained. I figured out why all the high performance karts were not equally powered and handling incorrectly and even put timing advance keyways on the karts, stiffer valve springs, milled and ported the heads. These things ripped! so i have good experience with karts. More recently i have been a Bmw dealership technician and Chrysler technician diagnosing problems with cars that many technicians and foreman's could not. For years i have wanted to make a motorcycle that was electrically powered and possibly have the power produced by batteries and a pedal powered alternator as well. i just didn't have the know how or funds to build this. i stumbled across this kart which is a high performance single speed Fullerton kart and the mars motor and npx setup for $200. It came with an extra set of brand new racing asphalt tires, Dirt wheels and tires, and several different sprockets. I have the drive and the believe i can learn the system to make this kart work and hopefully transfer the setup into a motorcycle eventually. For pics you can check my instagram mx_tech331. I dont have the url for the image. I would like to start by just using a few car batteries in series just to get the system working before investing several hundred dollars into batteries. it was pointed out that the motor and controller are not compatible. I so now i either need a new controller or motor and believe a diode, a solenoid, batteries and some wiring and connectors. Any advice anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated. Hoping to get involved with EV's from here on out.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:38 AM   #10
Electric kart
Not Yet Wild

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHY6Zxig2_J/
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car