lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2020, 02:32 AM   #11
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: New to me J38 with issues..it begins now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I got your muffler boxed up. Sending you a PM.
Thank you again. I am sure it will help keep my wife and neighbors off my butt.
Jammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2020, 09:25 AM   #12
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

No problem. If you have a smart phone you can open the website up and login. It's super easy to upload photos from your phone. I used to take photos, upload to my pc, then upload to the forum. Takes way too long lol...

Upload some photos!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:32 AM   #13
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

With that engine, if it's not been maintained well, you're going to have to go through the whole thing really well, all the basics. For oil, you can run straight 30 since you live in FLA. That's the good stuff with the zinc and phosphorus. You could even run Rotella, it's even better. I can't run Rotella here it gets too cold in the winter. I run 0w30 synthetic.

If you had fuel in the oil, you likely had a little wear going on. Hopefully not too much. Very important to get that carb fixed. Yami stock Mikiuni carbs are the best, so don't order an ebay carb, they're junk. Plowman's can rebuilt that carb for you for much cheaper than a new genuine Mikuni. He can also guide you through getting it tuned properly.

On your primary, yeah those do wear out and make noise. Clutching is key on these carts. If it were me I'd get a new set from Plowman's as well as a belt. His stuff is top notch. Again, avoid ebay and amazon at all costs, they're usually fakes and don't work well.

Old 11-26-2020, 04:35 PM   #14
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:

Clutching is key on these carts. If it were me I'd get a new set from Plowman's as well as a belt. His stuff is top notch. Again, avoid ebay and amazon at all costs, they're usually fakes and don't work well.

I have that on my things to buy for cart list. I want to get it running well, no leakage into crankcase from carb....no backfire when you let of the throttle. And to secure the motor down properly, I guess I need to look at ordering some new mounts and tensioner.

I'm on a beer budget (fixed income) so I can't afford to put hundreds of dollars a week into the cart, a little bit at a time and I'll get on top of this thing and enjoy it, if not I sell it.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:59 PM   #15
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
I got your muffler boxed up. Sending you a PM.
Got the shipment today.

I want to thank you for the gift in it and also the reminder of how much I love Raisin Bran cereal...... ingenious packing job Slo.

Weather took a turn for the worse and being retired and not having a time limit on this build, I decided to keep my old fat a$$ inside the warm house and read.

Interesting how much knowledge people share with others via forums, just like this one, and they are usually complete strangers, looking for help.

I will give ya a report back when I get it all straightened out.

Thanks again!
Old 12-03-2020, 07:52 AM   #16
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy View Post
Got the shipment today.

I want to thank you for the gift in it and also the reminder of how much I love Raisin Bran cereal...... ingenious packing job Slo.

Weather took a turn for the worse and being retired and not having a time limit on this build, I decided to keep my old fat a$$ inside the warm house and read.

Interesting how much knowledge people share with others via forums, just like this one, and they are usually complete strangers, looking for help.

I will give ya a report back when I get it all straightened out.

Thanks again!
Glad it got there safely. Hope the engine mounts help you out. I'm still thinking your clutch is making way too much noise. These old golf carts tend to need a lot of love lol.....and money But we love em.

Good luck.

Following.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:52 PM   #17
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

These old golf carts tend to need a lot of love lol.....and money But we love em.

Yes we do love our carts. I didn't do much on it today , awaiting my oil fill cover. I will get back into it soon. I need to read Slo's conversation about painting plastic and look around for a red color. I was thinking FIRE ENGINE RED or a bright red. Either one should look nice with white upholstery.

I spent this months cart money and then some already. Christmas is close.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:09 PM   #18
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Today was play with toys day.

Degrease and carb adjustments on cart and a long over due pressure wash, this thing was filthy. Then I installed my oil cap and went for a ride, the longest one since I've owned it. It was a much better ride with less noise (primary clutch still clanks) , smoother acceleration, less STINK from oil and the motor was actually able to breathe(along with my neighbors).

Carb and fuel pump rebuild and lower unit removal on the 13' Boston Whaler.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:46 PM   #19
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Tonight I had some clear warm weather and a bit of time so I began a few tasks on the cart...

MOTOR MOUNTS... thank you Skoal82 and Slonomo for the motor mounts. Attached is a photo of the old ones. The new ones are in and the belt is looking tighter already.

GOVERNOR BYPASS... I removed my sticking throttle cable from governor and then took the pedal cable and rerouted it directly to the carb. I had to move the throtyle pedal up one spline in order to get more travel but I still don't have wide open throttle when pedal is to the floor. More adjustments will be made. Cart will now start and isle smoothly. Since it is after 11PM and I'm in a retirement community, it will have to wait till tomorrow to test it.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:54 PM   #20
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy View Post
GOVERNOR BYPASS... I removed my sticking throttle cable from governor and then took the pedal cable and rerouted it........ Cart will now start and isle smoothly. Since it is after 11PM and I'm in a retirement community, it will have to wait till tomorrow to test it.
Short ride proved that I need to adjust the linkage more. Cart starts easily, takes about 1/2” of throttle to get it to move forward, reverse moves as soon as the starter is activated but at WOT (4050 RPM) the drive belt is not at the top of the primary clutch sheaves and the bottom of the secondary, therefore not getting into high gear. Looking at replacing primary clutch as it appears to be worn out. Secondary clutch has a red spring and may also be causing the shift problem. Secondary also has runout, like the sheaves are warped. I can measure the runout but I'd rather eliminate or at least minimize it but I'm not sure where to start. Any suggestions? I think my video of the engine running in YouTube (in prior reply to this thread) shows runout.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha