lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2020, 10:40 AM   #1
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Default Should I switch from 12" to 10" for more comfort

I have spent about two months and maybe 50 miles on my 23x10.5-12 X-Trail All-Terrains. I air them down to 6 or 7 psi for comfort while hunting and driving across bumpy pastures. The cart still rides pretty stiff. I do have an All Sports long travel lift on order, but I’m wondering if I made a mistake going with 12s and should buy something like this 22x11-10 set from https://www.golfcarttiresupply.com/1...ombo-set-of-4/. My current tires are 6-ply and these Sahara Classics are 4-ply.

Should I swap out the 23x12s for 22x10s? What say BGW?
HogKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2020, 01:39 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Should I switch from 12" to 10" for more comfort

I had a different lift but I’ve had a couple carts running 25x8-12 front and 25x10-12 rear with no rubbing or clearance issues at all. It rode great, very smooth but that’s a lot of sidewall too. The narrower front tires also helped off road since they don’t “pull” like a 4x4 would the narrower fronts created less drag and rolled through mud, tall grass, etc a lot easier than my other cart with 23x10 tires did.

You can get that size tire take-off Carlisle 489 from Polaris sportsman or Dunlop from Honda foreman dirt cheap if you look around. Mud lites are also great tires that ride pretty good and don’t weigh much, but do great off road
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:15 PM   #3
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have 23" Arisun X Trail Tires on 14" Wheel along with a All Sports A-Arm Lift and Dual Action Leaf Springs. When i first put the wheels and tires on it was a tank. The place that mounted the tires put 32# of air in them. I dropped the pressure to 12-15# and the ride improved a bunch but still wasnt great. Since then i removed the front and rear shocks and the ride is much much better! Try removing the shocks before spending money on something else. If you have HD springs you may want to look into the dual action springs.

Wayne
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:55 PM   #4
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7What View Post
I have 23" Arisun X Trail Tires on 14" Wheel along with a All Sports A-Arm Lift and Dual Action Leaf Springs. When i first put the wheels and tires on it was a tank. The place that mounted the tires put 32# of air in them. I dropped the pressure to 12-15# and the ride improved a bunch but still wasnt great. Since then i removed the front and rear shocks and the ride is much much better! Try removing the shocks before spending money on something else. If you have HD springs you may want to look into the dual action springs.

Wayne
Wait you just completely removed the shocks and drove the cart? WTF are the shocks there for then???

I have just a stock spring in the rear. Ripped out the HDs after this post: https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...87#post1772987
Old 12-30-2020, 09:06 AM   #5
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Let's be honest, a cart with a 6 foot wheel base, solid rear axle and leaf spring suspension will not provide a luxury ride. The shocks on a cart are for dampening those abrupt dips or bumps in your travel path. The springs are for the load. I thought I could remove my rear shocks but a test ride off road changed my mind. When I upgraded to true ATV tires, I went with 24 x 10's for my off road use. During the off hunting season, I run crappy tires 23 x 14's but it's mainly on pavement or mild trails.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:15 AM   #6
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter450 View Post
Let's be honest, a cart with a 6 foot wheel base, solid rear axle and leaf spring suspension will not provide a luxury ride. The shocks on a cart are for dampening those abrupt dips or bumps in your travel path. The springs are for the load. I thought I could remove my rear shocks but a test ride off road changed my mind. When I upgraded to true ATV tires, I went with 24 x 10's for my off road use. During the off hunting season, I run crappy tires 23 x 14's but it's mainly on pavement or mild trails.
Yeah I don't see anyone looking for a luxury ride, just people who don't want their fillings rattled out.

Good to have another data point on shock removal. I will wait to see what Wayne says, but might try it just to see.

What lift are you running that fits 24x10s?
Old 01-06-2021, 04:56 PM   #7
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogKiller View Post
Wait you just completely removed the shocks and drove the cart? WTF are the shocks there for then???

I have just a stock spring in the rear. Ripped out the HDs after this post: https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...87#post1772987

Paging @Z7What to the white courtesy phone.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:07 PM   #8
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
My current tires are 6-ply and these Sahara Classics are 4-ply.
I have those Sahara Classics and I'll pay you to come take them off my cart. They will beat you to death on any surface. When I bought the cart, I was told by the dealer that the tires were "not really a good tire." He was right. I'm shopping for new tires, too.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:11 PM   #9
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

I just ordered a set of 22" Stingers, though I don't do crazy offroading. I'll let you know how they ride when they come in, if that helps.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:55 AM   #10
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:

Quote:
Paging @Z7What to the white courtesy phone.
Sorry been busy and haven't had a chance to get online.

That is correct, I have not had shocks on the cart since I started experimenting with the front coilovers and I can honestly say its rides much better without them. I thought without having them I would have much more bounce but truth be told I bet if you drove my cart you wouldn't be able to tell I didn't have shocks.

With that said 75% of my driving is on cemented roads with the other 25% being grass, so no real off roading if that's what you do with yours.

Wayne
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car