lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2021, 01:40 PM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Cart going REALLY slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
Pace yourself...don't jump to conclusions. Start with batteries, then work outward. Charge pack over night, then let rest for 12 hours (note pack voltage). Then leave Voltmeter connectors and drive to test voltage under load. Report back numbers.....if batteries are OK, work your way from there to test each component. You can spend a lot of your hard earned money replacing things just guessing at it.
What he said.

Diagnosis is key. Randomly guessing and throwing parts at a cart (or car, truck, boat, house, whatever) is a very inefficient, expensive, and frustrating way to fix something.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2021, 09:16 PM   #12
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
What he said.

Diagnosis is key. Randomly guessing and throwing parts at a cart (or car, truck, boat, house, whatever) is a very inefficient, expensive, and frustrating way to fix something.
This is true, but I will def try that. Any idea what the volt meter should read?
LEMANSZ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:31 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

It should read 38+ off a fresh charge before you drive it. Under a heavy load (full pedal, accelerating, up a hill) a voltage drop of 2-4 volts is pretty normal, so dropping to 34-36v would be fine. But if it drops much more than that you’ve got something going on. There’s other variables involved but this should be a good ballpark. Voltage should jump back up abs recover pretty quickly as well once you stop the cart.

Aftermarket parts (upgrade motor, controller, etc) can make that loaded voltage drop more than a stock cart due to a higher demand/duty cycle. But generally it should hold pretty true.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:07 PM   #14
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
It should read 38+ off a fresh charge before you drive it. Under a heavy load (full pedal, accelerating, up a hill) a voltage drop of 2-4 volts is pretty normal, so dropping to 34-36v would be fine. But if it drops much more than that you’ve got something going on. There’s other variables involved but this should be a good ballpark. Voltage should jump back up abs recover pretty quickly as well once you stop the cart.

Aftermarket parts (upgrade motor, controller, etc) can make that loaded voltage drop more than a stock cart due to a higher demand/duty cycle. But generally it should hold pretty true.
Ok so voltage off a charge was 37 to 38. I let it sit for a few hours and got about the same. Under load when i pushd the pedal it drops down and then at full speed holds at 34.5 to max 34.9 volts. I checked my speed with the maps gps on my phone and I used to be able to do 14 to 15, but now I can barely tap 13. I usually am running around 11 to 12 now. God forbid I put anyone on the car im at 10 11 with the wind lol.

It also seems to not have that jump like it had from a start, also feels likes its not gonna go. I feel like most of this occured after I changed the micro switches in the speed box. My issue of it feeling like its skipping first gear is gone, but now if feels super sluggish.

Oh and if it matters the batteries around now about just about a year and 1/2 old.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:32 PM   #15
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Jack the rear of the cart off the ground. Slowly press the go pedal down. Check to make sure all the solenoids are firing off in sequence from right to left facing the rear of the cart.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:55 AM   #16
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Jack the rear of the cart off the ground. Slowly press the go pedal down. Check to make sure all the solenoids are firing off in sequence from right to left facing the rear of the cart.
Ok ill do it today
Old 03-22-2021, 08:15 PM   #17
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEMANSZ20 View Post
Ok ill do it today
Did you ever do this?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 04:30 PM   #18
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Did you ever do this?
Yes, sorry, they all fired up. I mean my voltage seems ok, and im hearing 5 clicks across the board. The cart actually runs fine, just extremely slow. It seemed to have happened after I changed the micro switches.

The cart was literally feeling like it would skip first gear per say, and jump. I changed the switch to what I thought was a direct replacement from amazon and now it maxes out at 12 13 if the wind catches me lol. I dont know if the microswitches maybe the wrong like voltage or something from them can send maybe a weak signal?
Old 03-24-2021, 07:37 AM   #19
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

That voltage at full speed seems slow. When my cart was still resistor I could always get back up to 36V and that was with 22” tires on flat pavement. Makes me think your batteries are going or you have some high resistance somewhere. Maybe go on a long full throttle ride then as soon as you stop pop the seat and verify none of the coils are toasty. That should be another way to verify all the solenoids are getting activated and bypassing all the coils.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:26 AM   #20
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Daddy View Post
That voltage at full speed seems slow. When my cart was still resistor I could always get back up to 36V and that was with 22” tires on flat pavement. Makes me think your batteries are going or you have some high resistance somewhere. Maybe go on a long full throttle ride then as soon as you stop pop the seat and verify none of the coils are toasty. That should be another way to verify all the solenoids are getting activated and bypassing all the coils.
Ill try and run it today, the cart when i first stop driving it has always been slower right off the bat. Then the second ride always felt faster, but underneath the seat it does get Id say def warm after a ride. I mean the batteries are powertron, wouldnt say the best and over a year and 1/2 old now. I didnt want to get trojan b/c I wasnt sure I could get the cart running when i first got it so i skimped on battery quality I think.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car