lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #11
Rep
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Trailer length for cart with rear seat ?

My 2007 Precedent is lifted, has 25" tires, a rear seat, and a grab bar. The overall width is 49" and the length is 112".

My first trailer was 4x8 and too small.

My second trailer was brand new, box tubing metal, and 6x12. A beautiful trailer, it was simply too heavy to move around in my yard (very confined space, no wiggle room between brick and fence). And that rear gate caused me to drop to 11 MPG in my Explorer. So I sold it after using it one time.

My "forever trailer" is 5x10 and it's ALUMINUM! The cart fits perfectly. It also has the hinged rear ramp/gate, and I'm very pleased with it. At nearly $1800, it had better be my last.

Highly recommend 5x10 unless you need something larger for multiple applications.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Santaland CC 2013 (7).jpg (416.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Trailer 04_24 (2).jpg (306.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 00b0b_5aSnnK4t0XX_600x450.jpg (31.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 00c0c_dDi36PCWMg3_600x450.jpg (28.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 00f0f_9rCvLD1Zx3b_600x450.jpg (31.5 KB, 0 views)
Rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2014, 11:50 AM   #12
bdsii
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Rep.....but after looking at your pics, why did you get away from that 4x8 trailer ?

Like the aluminum trailer....have not seen any of those around here, I guess yours was custom built ?
bdsii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:54 AM   #13
bdsii
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

An update - I should be picking up my new 5 x 10 trailer today with 15" new tires. It is 3x2 angle iron with wooden floors and a drop down mesh ramp. Had them put a spare tire mount on the side and added 6 rings on the trailer to use for attaching straps to hold items in place. Later, I may get them to add a lockable welded-on diamondplate front box on for $200. It may come in handy for storing straps and possibly my cart charger and with it lockable and welded on, should be pretty secure.

Thanks everyone for your input !

RTR
bdsii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #14
coosa
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsii View Post
Good info, Coosa, thanks.....was the difference in backing it onto the trailer that the rear seat was able to overhang the front rail giving you more room ?

Trying to determine if my spare should be mounted up front on the A-frame or on the side. I prefer up front but if there is an issue like you had where you may be overhanging the front rail, I want to keep that option open.

Thanks !
Yes, that was the difference. The rails are just 12" high on my trailer and the rear springs will fit over the rail. I back the tires against the rail and then run a heavy ratchet strap around the front of the cart and lock it down. It works fine, but if I were buying a new trailer, I'd definitely do like you have done and buy a 5x10. Hope you enjoy it!
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:20 AM   #15
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just remember that backing the cart onto a short trailer to make it fit can upset the balance of the trailer. Backing my cart onto the trailer puts a lot more weight on the hitch which works fine for my F350, but somebody towing with an Escape or other small SUV may experience issues with it.

If you intend to tow the trailer often and/or long distances, being able to balance the weight properly on the trailer is going to make a big difference in the towing experience. 5x10 is the minimum that I would consider. I went 6x12 which worked out to be a great size for me. I can haul just about any mower, the cart fits just fine and balances well and I can even haul the cart (with rear step) with a hitch mounted carrier installed.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:43 AM   #16
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720Deere View Post
Just remember that backing the cart onto a short trailer to make it fit can upset the balance of the trailer. Backing my cart onto the trailer puts a lot more weight on the hitch which works fine for my F350, but somebody towing with an Escape or other small SUV may experience issues with it.

If you intend to tow the trailer often and/or long distances, being able to balance the weight properly on the trailer is going to make a big difference in the towing experience. 5x10 is the minimum that I would consider. I went 6x12 which worked out to be a great size for me. I can haul just about any mower, the cart fits just fine and balances well and I can even haul the cart (with rear step) with a hitch mounted carrier installed.
I have a Toyota Tacoma with the lightweight springs. I back my electric cart on a 5 x 8 trailer with the rear seat hanging over the railing with the rear shackles up against the front rail. I have no heavy tongue weight issues and it tows very well. It is a stock 5 x 8 from Tractor Supply Co. with 13" tires.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:58 AM   #17
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

I am a little late to the party but here is some info others might be able to use. I was looking for a used 5 x 10 but found a like new used 5 x 8 with the mesh bed and mesh ramp dirt cheap. I have a rear seat on my cart and to get the ramp up I have to back the cart on the trailer and let the rear seat foot rest over hang the front rail. I immediately noticed that the mesh bed was sagging under the load of the cart so I added some 2 x 10 wooden runners. Also to get the rear seat to clear the front rail I had to add another 2 x 10 for the front 4' or so. Also to keep the rear seat foot rest from digging into the ramp I had to make some 6" blocks to raise the ramp and added 4' 2 x 10 ramp extensions. It works fine for me but a 5 x 10 wooden bed trailer would have been a bit easier to deal with. Also, if you can find one a 5 x 10 "dove tail" trailer would be ideal. I reduces the height and weight of the ramp and reduces wind drag.

One thing I do like about my 5 x 8 is that the tongue is a single tube. Two bolts and I can remove the tongue to reduce the storage area needed. You can also get a kit to convert the tongue to fold.

The dealer I bought my cart from delivers his on a 5 x 10 trailer. He added a boat type strap winch on the front of the trailer. All he does to secure the cart is to hook the winch hook to the front of the cart and snug it up. Much easier than messing with bunch of ratchet straps.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:30 AM   #18
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post

The dealer I bought my cart from delivers his on a 5 x 10 trailer. He added a boat type strap winch on the front of the trailer. All he does to secure the cart is to hook the winch hook to the front of the cart and snug it up. Much easier than messing with bunch of ratchet straps.
Your definition of secure must be a lot different than mine. How exactly does winching the cart against the front of the trailer secure it? DOT definition of secure is that the equipment being hauled on the trailer should not be able to separate from the trailer in the event of a rollover. I know it is only a 1000 lb cart and not a 75,000 lb excavator, but I wouldn't want 1,000 lbs hurling at me! Anything with wheels should be secured at a minimum of one strap/chain per end of the vehicle.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #19
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720Deere View Post
Your definition of secure must be a lot different than mine. How exactly does winching the cart against the front of the trailer secure it? DOT definition of secure is that the equipment being hauled on the trailer should not be able to separate from the trailer in the event of a rollover. I know it is only a 1000 lb cart and not a 75,000 lb excavator, but I wouldn't want 1,000 lbs hurling at me! Anything with wheels should be secured at a minimum of one strap/chain per end of the vehicle.
The way this winch is mounted it does secure the front of the cart from both forward movement and has down force to secure it to the bed of the trailer. I was merely mentioning this as an easy way to secure the front of the cart. I am guessing that he only does this for low speed local delivery. I agree that some security of the rear of the cart is needed. Personally, I use 6 ratchet straps. One for each wheel, one for the roof and one for the windshield. I fuss at them every time I have to deal with them.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #20
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO