lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
Gillico1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Mounting LED Light Bar

I mounted an LED light bar (9000 Lumens) to the underside of the roof using toggle bolts. So I wouldn't have to drill all the way through the roof. There's a rubber pad sandwiched between the light bar mounts and the roof. It wobbles back and forth while riding. It's secure just not as secure as I want. Any ideas how to mount more substantially?
Gillico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2014, 11:23 PM   #2
Gillico1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Mounting LED Light Bar

Well it just broke. The toggles wouldn't hold it. I guess I'll drill through the roof and mount with bolts and washers.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:00 AM   #3
meangreenmachine72
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Ouch ! I wouldn't drill through roof just because it would drive me nuts. How about making a bar that attaches to roof and mount light to the bar.
meangreenmachine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillico1 View Post
Well it just broke. The toggles wouldn't hold it. I guess I'll drill through the roof and mount with bolts and washers.
You might end up with a leaky roof if you drill all the way through it.

Not sure why the toggle bolts didn't hold. What type were they, plastic or the spring loaded metal wing type?

The plastic the top is made out of is a bit too soft to hold finer threads, so I mounted a LED tail, brake and turn signal light bar under the back of the top using the same coarse thread screws I use to hold license plates on cars. If they pull out, I'll go to a bigger course thread screw and put Gorilla Glue between the mounting bracket and the top.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I was able to use some plastic inserts to mount mine, but it was a real PITA to keep them from rotating while I was trying to tighten the screws. With a little patience I finally got it, but that plastic is pretty thin and doesn't hold anything very well.

Another option is to make an offset hole and use the type of metal insert that slips over the edge of the plastic and the screw actually goes through the metal insert on the backside of the plastic. You could then caulk over the hole or slot needed to put the insert in. I would avoid drilling through the top of the roof at all costs. That is just asking for a leak and when it does leak, it will fill the hollow roof with water which won't be a pleasant experience.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
LVCJ
going,.. going,.. gone!

E-Z-GO

Another way is to get a small strip of aluminum the width of the mounting brackets say maybe 3/16" thick and mount it across the underside of the roof with some epoxy. They make some great adhesives nowadays.
This would be permanent though.

You may also paint that strip before you attach it, that way it blends into roof.

Now you can use some self tapping screws to secure light brackets to new metal strip. This would be a lot more secure hold.
LVCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #7
meangreenmachine72
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I was just looking at my cart, I would get a piece of flat stock , paint it first like the other guy said then rivet the stock to the top of the roof supports and then mount lights to that by self tapping screws or by making threaded holes.
meangreenmachine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I mounted mine in the same place and used self tapping screws to hold it in place to the roof support.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (128.8 KB, 0 views)
Bmatlock00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #9
Gillico1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I ended up just drilling through the roof. Good point to caulk it. I'll do that and spray paint over it. Seems pretty stable. If it fails I'll use the self-tapping into the support. Thanks for all the advice. These lights are extremely bright! Can't really use them in the neighborhood. Running radio, horn, lights, Light bar and LED Knight Rider strip off of deep cycle 12V. Here's some pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-09-20 18.14.51.jpg (217.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-09-20 18.15.02.jpg (165.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-09-20 18.15.15.jpg (352.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-09-20 18.16.12.jpg (302.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-09-20 18.16.22.jpg (217.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I agree they are VERY bright! It will blind anyone that you pass on the road, that's why I plan on putting a foot switch on the floorboard to turn it on and off so I don't have to keep reaching up to the dash to turn it off.
Bmatlock00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floods, led lights, light bar
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO