lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
goldwinger
Gone Wild

Default 1980 ez-go

is a i980 ez go cart worth messing with? it has no batterys and the man said that low to high speed does not work.when engauging in to high speed it will jeck but does move
goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 1980 ez-go

Speed board parts are generally not too expensive. But, the parts are so old that many stores dont stock them. Batteries are a killer ($$). Things to consider are - what do you want it to do (ie: carry 2 people, carry 4 people, carry 4 people and a dead elk, haul a trailer, lifted offroading?). And how much money do you realistically have to use (so the funds you do have go first to the most important things to reaching your goal).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
goldwinger
Gone Wild

I just want to carry 2 people and nothing more
Old 10-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Sounds like you can do fine with the original speed control system (resistor coils & wiper board - simple, unrefined & inefficient by todays standards, fairly cheap, but it does the job). Repairing everything on the speed control system should be do-able for $150 or less. Be sure your cables are good, your F&R operates smoothly & without excessive effort. Then start searching for the highest capacity 6v golf cart batteries you can afford. Dont skimp on the batteries, they should be considered an investment worthy of researching before purchase, and best care & maintenance after purchase. The wrong batteries may last only a year and a half, good ones may give you 7 years.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #5
goldwinger
Gone Wild

where can I get parts for it??
Old 10-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: Southeast Ohio -- "The Toenails of the Foothills of Appalachia"

Goldwinger,

Parts are available through the site sponsors, or generally a web search for EZGO Marathon parts will turn up lots of sources.

I've got an '84 Marathon resistor cart - it's a beater, but it does what I need it to do. You probably have a bad cable or connection between the wiper (speed) board and the resistor. The resistor is the coil assembly with 4 cables going to it just to the right of the driver's side rear wheel. The wiper board isn't too hard to repair or replace, depending on how bad it is.

I see that the cart has a JEGS sticker - you wouldn't happen to be somewhere in central Ohio, would you?

RLW
rlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #7
goldwinger
Gone Wild

no from Texas
Old 10-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #8
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: Southeast Ohio -- "The Toenails of the Foothills of Appalachia"

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwinger View Post
no from Texas
OK. JEGS is a central Ohio company, just thought you might be from around there.

RLW
rlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO