lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2015, 08:47 PM   #1
mrmom
Not Yet Wild

Default G20AX controller wiring (not the one next to the solenoid)

Before I troubleshoot my non-start Yamaha g20ax from the sticky threads, I need help reconnecting this controller unit. There was a fire/short on one of the in-line fuses and in my panic to avoid a fire next to the battery, I yanked the 3 wires from the pictured unit. I've done some research on the site and only found someone using this unit to help with turn signals.

I'd like to get the 3 wires in my photos back on the correct terminals before I start trouble shooting the solenoid, starter, etc for my non-start issue. It could also be a problem with this j42-xxxx unit, but if it's wired incorrectly, I'll never know.

Any help is appreciated. I also have no idea what this controller is in charge of on the g20ax. The only mention on this board uses this controller for signals. Not sure about the G20AX use for it, and I don't think it's after market. I bought the chart used in working condition.

Thanks!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429925596.974263.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429925608.282554.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429925653.326280.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429925631.449200.jpg (66.1 KB, 0 views)
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2015, 09:29 AM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: G20AX controller wiring (not the one next to the solenoid)

That "control unit" or timer relay was used on G5's as a brake light turn off unit. Should have nothing to do with starting circuit. I might be able to help with it's wiring on monday, will need to look at a G5 wiring diagram in a shop manual.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:32 PM   #3
mrmom
Not Yet Wild

Thanks!
I included another image of the relay with #s on the contacts, making it easier to discuss. Also if this relay is shot, are there other options that can do the trick? Looks like this part is about 75-100 if it's a goner from the electrical meltdown the cart had.

Again thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg relay_wiring.jpg (177.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-28-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
mrmom
Not Yet Wild

Reluctant bump. Based on smallblock450sl's reply, I'm gonna hit the sticky for start problems, and not worry about the relay. Still could use the wiring help on the part. So glad this site exists!
Old 04-28-2015, 07:27 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Sorry for the bad picture, scanner's not working! From your picture...#1-yellow/#2-black/#4-r/g.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015_0429diagram0007.jpg (165.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-28-2015, 08:20 PM   #6
mrmom
Not Yet Wild

Thanks so much for taking the time. A hand drawing is super great!

Worked through the no-start sticky and voltages were okay. I cleaned the spark plug and I was able to get it to start after bridging the solenoid. Why does bridging work? Do I need a new solenoid? I was able to run the cart at half accelerator but no go at the higher RPM just spun without enough power. I am thinking it's a clutch issue and will look at repairing the current OEM or just get a new comet clutch and be done with it. I know i'm in the wrong thread for this, but any thoughts?

I am going to search the forum and post my 2 new questions if there aren't obvious answers. I LOVE USER FORUMS! best place in the world to help and be helped. These places save my wife from listing to me and spares me from thinking my friends are weird for not wanting to know how to repair thing$.

Again thanks smallblock450sl! HOLY SMOKES 8,500+ posts you are a golf cart Zen Master.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

If you have 12 volts negative (key on, pedal not pressed or pressed) at the small black wire at the solenoid and 12 volts positive (key on, only when pedal pressed) at the small red wire at the solenoid....no solenoid click, time for a new solenoid. Must be a continues duty 12 volt solenoid!
Old 04-29-2015, 12:14 PM   #8
mrmom
Not Yet Wild

Must be the battery. It was just shy of 12 on both.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha