lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #1
blizzrd
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Dang crank seals!$@$&&$

Gonna have to order a second clutch side and a third fan side seal. I've tried to put them in and one time one of the sides went in too far. I removed it and tried again and one side got caught and the rubber part tore and it was mostly in aside from a small rubber piece. I couldn't leave it like that so took it out and tried the other side. Same thing. It can't be that hard to do this. Any tips to getting these on the right way? Anyways, I was looking at it and noticed that everything was off the motor except for the four bolts holding it on so I took the thing off. I figured it would be so much easier working on the seals and anything else while it's on a table. While I have the motor out, is there anything else I should look at, clean up, replace? There was a lot of sludge or mud between some of the fins around the cylinder. Does that tell me anything?
blizzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2015, 11:05 AM   #2
blizzrd
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Dang crank seals!$@$&&$

*Crickets*
Old 11-24-2015, 01:42 PM   #3
Field6565
Gone Wild

Dip the seals in some 2 cycle oil to help the process. This way they will slide easily over the crank and into the case. I use a small wood block and a hammer to tap them in, working the seal side to side so they go in square. Good luck with it!
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:58 AM   #4
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

Yes Lube them. I've used a piece of pvc pipe and a block of wood. Slide the pipe over the crankshaft on to the seal, place block of wood on the end so you can tap the pipe evenly and the seals should slide in.
Mr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I used a large socket to tap them in. Use some oil, but I wouldn't oil the mating surfaces. I did that and the seal wouldn't hold, it would pop out after it got running. Cleaned the oil off and it now stays in. Lube only on the crank surface and it should go in. Lightly tap it in, and make sure its square, pay attention to it's position in the engine after each tap, adjust the angle of the tap each time. If the engine isn't removed, it will be much more difficult to do, but not impossible. I ended up removing the engine to get it right.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:32 PM   #6
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I ended up removing the engine to get it right.

Ogre
OgreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:20 PM   #7
blizzrd
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Yeah I have mine out on the bench now. I'm waiting on some gaskets and another set of seals to come in. I'm thinking of ordering the dampers/motor mounts cuz this thing shakes more than a squatting dog when it's running.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:23 PM   #8
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I had a marathon two stroke I rebuilt and it backfired once and blew the seal out the clutch side
I took some locktite put it around the outside of the seal in case it backfired again
It has never come out again
Skoal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:43 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

The locktite trick does work!

The rubber engine mounts do go bad since the rubber rots out. That will also restore lost power. When the engine moves like that under acceleration, the tension of the belt loosens up, then the clutches have to pull the belt back tight, so it results in a loss of power and speed. Check the cable that holds the engine mount back, also a part that breaks on these old carts.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha