lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #1
oifish
Not Yet Wild

Default 1996 G16 No Start after oil overfill

AKA, don't let morons use your cart.

I have a 1996 Yamaha G16 that is mainly used as a fun trail cart. Only modification is a governor bypass. Over the winter the HG blew and once replaced it was running like a champ.

Last weekend, a friend was borrowing it when the oil light turned on. So he started pouring oil in until the oil light went off. He calculates about 2-3L of oil. I cursed at him a couple times and together we started to clean the motor. With the spark plug removed, oil would spray out of the hole, and plenty was sucked/blown into the air cleaner.

I rebuilt the carb, cleaned the air box, got the motor to the point where only air is pushed out of the spark plug hole. But now the thing won't start. I tried a new plug but it won't fire. Spark plug is wet so I know gas is getting there. And there is a good spark.

I'm assuming the next step is to run a compression test. Could this have caused the piston rings to go? I'm confused on where to go next, if the compression test comes back normal.
oifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
carguymn
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Be sure to check the throttle is opening. I had a throttle cable go bad on mine and it wouldn't start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carguymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
oifish
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1996 G16 No Start after oil overfill

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguymn View Post
Be sure to check the throttle is opening. I had a throttle cable go bad on mine and it wouldn't start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oops forgot to mention I just installed a new throttle cable when I did the head gasket in January.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #4
CookedTick
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

compression could have gone cause oil is harder to compress than gas. might have also screwed your valve seals, muffler will probably have lots of oil in it too, heck it may have even backed into the gas
CookedTick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:52 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Is the throttle verified opening when the pedal is pressed? (i know, new cable before, but we are at today). Spark is assumed good as you stated. Shoot a small squirt of ether/carb clean/brake clean in the carb to see if it briefly fires up (most carb/brake cleaners are quite flammable). That would eliminate fuel as the problem, if carb is opening. It needs only 3 things to run. Air, fuel, & spark. If throttle is verified opening than air is "check". Ether is flammable so fuel is "check", still "no-go", check spark & compression. I seen many 5 year old spark plugs on old course cars still working fine, they are not typically hard on plugs, but try a new NGK BPR2ES. Even a "working" engine with lousy compression would still fire with ether. This ought to get you in some direction. A out of place pushrod could possibly be involved if the previously running engine now has only 65 psi compression, a good runner does not go that low in one "bad trip". In my years of golf carts, i have yet to see a stock Yamaha with a failed head gasket.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:20 AM   #6
oifish
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Is the throttle verified opening when the pedal is pressed? (i know, new cable before, but we are at today). Spark is assumed good as you stated. Shoot a small squirt of ether/carb clean/brake clean in the carb to see if it briefly fires up (most carb/brake cleaners are quite flammable). That would eliminate fuel as the problem, if carb is opening. It needs only 3 things to run. Air, fuel, & spark. If throttle is verified opening than air is "check". Ether is flammable so fuel is "check", still "no-go", check spark & compression. I seen many 5 year old spark plugs on old course cars still working fine, they are not typically hard on plugs, but try a new NGK BPR2ES. Even a "working" engine with lousy compression would still fire with ether. This ought to get you in some direction. A out of place pushrod could possibly be involved if the previously running engine now has only 65 psi compression, a good runner does not go that low in one "bad trip". In my years of golf carts, i have yet to see a stock Yamaha with a failed head gasket.
I'll double check the throttle cable and adjust it accordingly. Good thought on the carb cleaner. I'll test that, and compression if needed, this weekend and get back to you all with results.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:04 AM   #7
oifish
Not Yet Wild

Throttle cable was working, but not opening it fully. That was fixed but the problem persisted.

We did find the vacuum line from the crankcase to the fuel pump was clogged with oil and crap. After clearing that line and the fuel pump, it still wouldn't start.

Using some starter fluid it fired up and it would actually idle. I think it didn't have enough vacuum to operate the fuel pump and needed combustion to finally draw the right of gas amount through the carb. The carb needs some fine tuning, but it does fire up and drive.

Smokes a lot but only once the muffler gets hot. I figure once that burns off the smoking will stop. Compression was 120psi cold. Plug doesn't look fouled, so I'm assuming it isn't burning any oil.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha