lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2019, 08:15 AM   #31
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: new to club car 1999 DS questions about lifting /kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
You may want to call STeeling, I don't know if an 8" rim will fit. A lot of lift kits will require a 10" wheel or larger.
Yeah I was thinking about how crappy my other carts have handled with 8" rims and 22" tires. Looked like a squarebody chevy on 35s using factory rims, but handled like crap because golf cart tires are flexible.

Going to go 12" either way and going to let the wife decide if she likes aluminum or black steel better
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2019, 09:27 PM   #32
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
And all club cars have aluminum frames. All DS have leaf springs in the rear. I don't know of a DS that came with a "factory" rear seat, most of them are added on. unless you're talking about a transporter/limo type?
Ok so I took what you said at face value until I saw a cart on facebook marketplace that said "factory 4 seater" and looked at mine again. if you look at the seat backs it is all one piece aluminum that both seat backs and rear seat bolt to, then it goes clear to the rear step.

that would be alot of screwing around for an aftermarket kit? not saying its impossible just wanted to show a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seatback.jpg (50.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-19-2019, 09:33 PM   #33
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
The Jake's economy lift looks what's known as a "Z" lift. When done correctly they're quite strong and work well. But I'd be afraid to cut the frame in half to install it personally....

I've not driven a DS with the 6" lift (yet... hopefully will this weekend though, it's supposed to arrive on Thursday from SGC) but my carryall (turf 2, longer wheelbase than a DS) has no stability issues at all. I really can't imagine a DS would be that much different though, tons and tons of people have a 6" lift on a DS with no problems. But just have to use common sense as well.

The shocks on my DS (2002) are the type with a straight threaded shaft at the top and the bottom, same as my Carryall. (in the picture on the left) There's a hole in the mounting plate for the leaf springs for the shock to bolt to. All you have to do is look under the cart, if it looks like the shock on the left, you're good. If you have one like on the right I think I have seen an adapter kit, but can't remember for sure.

https://www.steelenggolfcart.com/col...r-ds-1982-2003
I have been at the shop and messing with my cart, completely forgot to look at the shock type until today. Looks like I am in the clear, I have the right ones for this kit.

Is there any way to test them? They seem fine to me I was thinking about just running the ones I have. And to be honest i use my cart maybe twice a week so it doesn't see serious abuse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shock.jpg (47.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-19-2019, 10:11 PM   #34
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I'd just run them as they are and leave well enough alone unless you have issues. No sense replacing something that foesnt need replacing!

As for the rear seat, most rear seat kits for the DS will not only add the rear seat, but also replace the front seat back mount. And many replace the rear roof supports as well, depending on the year of the cart.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:50 AM   #35
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
I'd just run them as they are and leave well enough alone unless you have issues. No sense replacing something that foesnt need replacing!

As for the rear seat, most rear seat kits for the DS will not only add the rear seat, but also replace the front seat back mount. And many replace the rear roof supports as well, depending on the year of the cart.
good to know! seemed like a lot of work but i suppose when it makes it stronger it cant be too hard to replace it. thanks again
Old 05-20-2019, 09:06 AM   #36
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

leaning toward these wheels

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162365643360

I like the tread, and its the right price. waiting to hear back on what the offset is.

and going with the 6" steeleng lift... hopefully I don't lose too much power going up hills???
Old 05-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #37
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

That's a good price. Plus with steel wheels you won't have to battle the rear wheel studs like I did with the aluminum ones... I had to replace all 8 rear wheel studs with 2" studs because the stock ones were too short. I only got the lugnuts to engage about 4 or 5 threads (not much). One of the lugnuts actually stripped out trying to torque it because there wasn't enough thread engagement. The 2" ones are much, much better.

Just something to keep in mind if you do find a good deal on aluminum wheels either locally or on ebay. I'm still very happy with the wheels I got.

Mine still climbs hills perfectly fine with 25" ATV tires, doesn't slow down a bit. Pulls my 5x8 trailer around no problems as well. So i'm sure the 23" tires you probably won't notice much, if any difference unless you have some REALLY steep hills that it struggled with before. Torque spring in the clutch would be an easy cure for that though
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #38
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
That's a good price. Plus with steel wheels you won't have to battle the rear wheel studs like I did with the aluminum ones... I had to replace all 8 rear wheel studs with 2" studs because the stock ones were too short. I only got the lugnuts to engage about 4 or 5 threads (not much). One of the lugnuts actually stripped out trying to torque it because there wasn't enough thread engagement. The 2" ones are much, much better.

Just something to keep in mind if you do find a good deal on aluminum wheels either locally or on ebay. I'm still very happy with the wheels I got.

Mine still climbs hills perfectly fine with 25" ATV tires, doesn't slow down a bit. Pulls my 5x8 trailer around no problems as well. So i'm sure the 23" tires you probably won't notice much, if any difference unless you have some REALLY steep hills that it struggled with before. Torque spring in the clutch would be an easy cure for that though

I have family in the foothills of the appalachian mountains (think: ohio river area) and they have what I would consider "steep hills" but they consider "baby hills." That is the only place I would be worried about it not having enough power, its pretty flat where I live. And even when I go there, it is only grass and road driving, they have side by sides for off roading so I should be fine. I've never taken my cart there but some day I probably will.

time to place some orders
Old 05-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #39
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Lift and Wheels ordered.... now we wait for delivery and a day when I'm not too busy working to install them
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car