lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
JaredL
Not Yet Wild

Default No Reverse when starting up hill

This is a weird issue / question.

When I stop my 2012 Club Car Precedent facing down hill and get back in and try and reverse up the hill the cart won't go. The engine just putts a bit and nothing happens. If I throw it in forward for a second then quickly back into reverse it seems to work

It never did this before. When I drive to the beach I have to park facing downhill by the sand. There isn't enough room to turn around there so I have to back up like 40 feet till there is room to tun around. The hill isn't that steep and like I said, It always did this no problem until this summer.

I tried changing the file filter and air filter and it's still doing it.

Any ideas what to look for?
JaredL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: No Reverse when starting up hill

Does this happen every time or just sometimes?

Do you have big tires on it? Lift kit?
How old are the belts?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:29 PM   #3
JaredL
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Does this happen every time or just sometimes?

Do you have big tires on it? Lift kit?
How old are the belts?
I have the 4 inch lift kit and the bigger tires. but i have had them for years and it worked fine. The belt I changed over the winter. It runs fine in all other circumstances.

But I was playing around with it before. Any time I stop with it facing down hill and put it into reverse it just putters and won't really move backwards. It goes fine forwards facing up hill. It also goes up hill fine in reverse if you start off on a flat ground.

It seems like it't not getting and gas, or turning over. I also tried filling the tank up to the top and still the same thing.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:43 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Ok park it on a hill and verify that it will not run in reverse. Then open the seat and put the cart in maintenance mode. Pull out the yellow knob on the back of the shifter handle and turn it 180° and let it go. This will allow the engine to crank with it in neutral. Now hold the brake and press the gas pedal and see if the engine starts and runs.

This will tell us if you have a no-spark issue, or an issue with the clutches or governor adjustment, or possibly combination of the two.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:44 PM   #5
JaredL
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Ok park it on a hill and verify that it will not run in reverse. Then open the seat and put the cart in maintenance mode. Pull out the yellow knob on the back of the shifter handle and turn it 180° and let it go. This will allow the engine to crank with it in neutral. Now hold the brake and press the gas pedal and see if the engine starts and runs.

This will tell us if you have a no-spark issue, or an issue with the clutches or governor adjustment, or possibly combination of the two.

I tried what you said.

I parked it facing downhill and tried to reverse... just puttered and didn't go backwards. Took off the seat and put it in maintenance mode and tried and the engine did the same thing . It actually putted and tried to turn over a bit less.

I tried holding the governor switch open and it didn't make a difference.

Any ideas what it could be?

I really appreciate the help.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #6
JaredL
Not Yet Wild

also. when it is trying to back up, it kinda sounds like it does when it's really cold out and it's sat for a few days. I tired pushing in the choke but it made no difference.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:55 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Just a shot in the dark... But try pulling your carb and checking to make sure the float is working properly and the needle is not sticking at all!

Perhaps the float/needle is sticking when you're parking with the nose down, and it's flooding the carb or motor? The float hinge is in the front side of the carb. When you're parked down a hill, the back of the bowl will be emptier as all the fuel will fall to the front of the bowl, maybe making it think the bowl is empty so it leaves the needle open allowing fuel to flow in.

What kind of an angle are we talking here?

You can duplicate the concern, which is a big help. So get it to stutter and fail like it does, and right away pull the spark plug out and see if it's soaked. You could also go a step further and pull the intake tube and see if there is any gas inside of there.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:59 PM   #8
JaredL
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Just a shot in the dark... But try pulling your carb and checking to make sure the float is working properly and the needle is not sticking at all!

Perhaps the float/needle is sticking when you're parking with the nose down, and it's flooding the carb or motor? The float hinge is in the front side of the carb. When you're parked down a hill, the back of the bowl will be emptier as all the fuel will fall to the front of the bowl, maybe making it think the bowl is empty so it leaves the needle open allowing fuel to flow in.

What kind of an angle are we talking here?

You can duplicate the concern, which is a big help. So get it to stutter and fail like it does, and right away pull the spark plug out and see if it's soaked. You could also go a step further and pull the intake tube and see if there is any gas inside of there.
I'll try checking the spark plug to see if its wet when it's happening. It's raining now so i'll have to wait.

The hill isn't steep, like less then 45 degrees. Its a road that goes down to the beach. it's just not wide enough to turn around at the bottom so I have to reverse to the first driveway to turn around. But I mean it's a hill but not steep kids can bike up it.

Is the intake tube where the air goes from the filter into the carb? I'm not super familiar with these motors, but I know a bit about carbs.

I was thinking the float switch sticking to. Especially since it started happening after it was stored for the winer.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:01 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Yes, there's a clamp on the hose going into the carb you can squeeze with your fingers and pull the hose off.

And 45 degrees is pretty steep!
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 02:10 PM   #10
JaredL
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Yes, there's a clamp on the hose going into the carb you can squeeze with your fingers and pull the hose off.

And 45 degrees is pretty steep!
I got my protractor out, lol, its like between 20 and 30 degrees i'd say. Like it's just a normal hill.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car