lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2020, 10:12 AM   #1
Fishinforce
Not Yet Wild

Default 1995 Fe290 running extremely hot

This one here is driving me nuts and any help would be appreciated..... bought cart used. Ran fine when bought but didn’t run it long enough, my fault. Get it home-was running extremely hot and would diesel very bad. Also would lose power. Got serious trying to fix it. This is what I have done so far, to include everything!! New bumper, heavy duty leaf springs, belts, battery, gone through wiring, replaced all gas lines, fuel filters and gas pump, new carb, air filter also sealed up air box, replaced head gasket and cleaned carbon , reseat valves. Checked muffler for holes and rattles while it was off. Replaced spark plug. Took fan shroud off and all was clean. —- a couple things to add, the guy was running an additive to the gas to make is smell fruity, the carbon in the chamber and on valves was whiteish rock freaking hard, I have worked on small engines for years and have never seen this before ever!!!!!! It is running much better except for taking off is jerky but slow to reach top speed. And getting so hot it is distorting the plastic behind the seat which it has been doing since we got it.
Fishinforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2020, 10:18 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 1995 Fe290 running extremely hot

First, disconnect the cable between the governor and the carb. Move it by hand. it should move *VERY* freely. if it sticks, it will cause all sorts of problems, jerky take off, dieseling, etc.

Then, turn the key off and remove the cover on the black box. Watch the microswitches and the carb. Slowly press the gas pedal. Watch the microswitch click and make sure the carb does NOT move. After another 1/2 inch of pedal travel the carb should just baaaaaarely start to move. Adjust the cable going out of the black box with the 2 nuts until you achieve this.

As for the overheating, make sure all the fins on the head are clean and not packed full of mud/dirt/grease/grime/crap. Make sure the fan is turning and blowing plenty of air, you should feel it coming out of the hole next to where the tailpipe goes in pretty well. That fan moves a lot of air. any missing shroud pieces, restrictions anywhere in there, etc. will make it over heat.

Also what spark plug is in it, and did you use an OEM carb or a cheapie? if it's running lean it's going to run very hot as well.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:22 AM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

How does the spark plug look ? White like the engine is really running lean ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:31 AM   #4
Fishinforce
Not Yet Wild

I just replaced the cable, it was sticking. Forgot to add that in my original post sorry. I will ck that cable adjustment. Question will the gov assembly turn on the shaft? When I would rebuild mowers I would have to turn the gov shaft then tighten the rod on the shaft so that it was on he right position. Is it the same on the golf cart engine?

I went with the with the elcheapo carb. What is the procedure to adj. the carb on these?

I am positive the plug was normal, but will look again when I get home.
Fishinforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car