lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

Default Cheap find! Pics!

Found this in town, got it for $200! I guess the guy replaced a bearing and seal, now it will not run...Been sitting for 2 years but motor is not locked up. Still turns over but, not too much compression. My question is, what year is this old one? Need some carb parts I believe. Anyone have an idea on what year this? no plastic body peices. Serial number is: 9E23-172660. Found it located under the passeger side "glove box." All info is appreciated!!

Tonka
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo1.JPG (227.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ezgo2.JPG (140.0 KB, 0 views)
Tonka329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cheap find! Pics!

That's a first-generation Marathon, with the internal starter/generator (Dave Box can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that makes it pre-81) - those old serial numbers aren't like the new ones with the year right in the number though so I can't pin it down exactly for you ...
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Yep,I think 81' was the first update.The cart pictured has the rear-mount fuel-tank,definitely late 70s'-early 80s'.Good score
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:55 AM   #4
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

Thanks guys! Anyone know where I can get parts?
Old 10-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Some of the engine stuff is getting tough on the early motors,the starter/gen.stuff is almost extinct.It can be converted to an external,but you will need to build brackets,they have a different engine-case,the ears aren't there to mount one.I think the main parts of the motor are the same,but not definite(If I talk to Dad,I'll check,hes' done a few of them).The cart itself is basically the same all the way thru 94',so that stuff is easy.The only differences are they changed the seat-back brackets,gas-tank location(from behind seat to under-seat),and the front-cowl and front-springs were changed in 88'-94'(springs are 2"-shorter).Enjoy!Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

Anyone do a "clone" engine swap on these side mount style engines?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

The drawback to a swap is that your existing engine actually runs backwards to give you a reverse gear, if You swap to a standard motor (which isn't impossible at all provided You utilize an engine that the clutch is compatible with) You will also have to swap out the rear axle to a 1989-1994.4 style to give yourself a reverse gear (which can be rather spendy, I've seen those axles go anywhere from $200-700) ...

On the upside, those old internal generator engines (while yes, VERY hard to locate parts for anymore) are still a decent, reliable engine when they're maintained correctly - define "low compression" (IE what's the actual reading, take it with the gas pedal mashed to the floor to ensure an accurate reading BTW)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
mb523
Peanut

E-Z-GO

Congrats on the classic EZGO! This looks just like my 1977! Top end parts for this motor are the same as the newer (80's) Fuji/heavy industries 244cc engine. I believe the only thing you can still get for that starter/generator are the brushes. I rebuilt the top end of mine a couple years ago and it has been a solid performer for years! It looks like you are missing the top muffler bracket which could lead to a cracked muffler pipe. Does it spin over with a good battery in it? Have spark? Pump fuel? If yes, you are well on your way. As BrewCityMusic suggested, do a compression test and let us know.
mb523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:27 AM   #9
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

I have been working 16 hour days the past couple weeks. I will be able to dig into it this weekend
Old 11-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #10
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

Well, a rebuild kit for the carb from a local shop, hoaned cylinder, new piston/rings, and this little cart spins the tires on my garage floor!! Not bad for only having less than $300 in it. Now, some cheap upholstering, rattle can paint and this cart will be good to go for the campsite!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO