lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
mom4651
Not Yet Wild

Default 1977 EZGO gas charging system issues

I have a 1977 ezgo gas cart the engine starts and runs fine but will not keep the battery charged I have checked generator brushes they look good armature apears good but did not remove it I changed voltage regulator to new style but no help there. I have has battery tested by 2 parts houses they say it is good. Battery will start it up run for about 10 minutes dies then will retart in a few minutes I am at a lose of what to do next any suggestions would be apreciated
mom4651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1977 EZGO gas charging system issues

If you put a volt meter across the battery terminals while it is running at half throttle, how many volts does it show?

You may have a short in your wiring- do you get small sparks when you disconnect/reconnect the battery?
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
racin161
Gone Wild

Not recommend !! Volt meter yes disconnecting battery while running NO. Sorry While running on stands see if you have 13.5-15 volts if so it's charging. K

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
racin161
Gone Wild

Sorry K reread the post your not saying remove it while running Looking for short NOW WERE TALKING.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry that I wasn't more clear with my comment to connecting/disconnecting the battery- this is to be done with the engine not running.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
mom4651
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4651 View Post
I have a 1977 ezgo gas cart the engine starts and runs fine but will not keep the battery charged I have checked generator brushes they look good armature apears good but did not remove it I changed voltage regulator to new style but no help there. I have has battery tested by 2 parts houses they say it is good. Battery will start it up run for about 10 minutes dies then will retart in a few minutes I am at a lose of what to do next any suggestions would be apreciated
the most I get in voltage with the cart running and up on jack stands is 11.75 this is what i get when having meter on postive and negtive battery terminals

my other question is if the generato/starter starts the cart shoudl that mean that the generator is ok or could i stillhave issues there

Last edited by mom4651; 11-11-2012 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: adding more info
Old 11-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

With only 11.75 volts while running, your generator is definitely not charging the battery.

You mentioned that you have a new regulator and all of the brushes are good- so I am stumped as to why it wouldn't be charging. Are all of the wires good and connections clean (no corrosion)? You might want to clean up the grounds where they attach to the frame.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
mom4651
Not Yet Wild

we have cleaned all gound wires and were they attach to frame i guess our next thing is looking at all wires that run anywhere in the charging sysyem i still am no tgetting a clear answer from anywhere on the question if starter/generator works to start cart does that mean the generator part is good
Old 11-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Another poster mentioned that their cart hesitated a few seconds after they pushed the gas pedal before it began spinning the engine. They also mentioned that the cart didn't charge the battery fully. When they removed the starter/generator, the brushes were almost completely worn out.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
mom4651
Not Yet Wild

we checked brushed in generator they were not worn and were still long used emery cloth on armature where brushes touch to clean did not change anything there is no hesitation in engine it starts right up the first time and runs great just when battery runs out it is done will not restart until either it sets a while and battery builds back up or we recharge battery we have also tried a new battery so that is not the issue

not sure if this is important but person who owned it before installed a key start rather then using the gas pedal to start it could that be our problem ha said he had no issue with it but you never know if when you are buying someting you are being told truth

how would i check to see if the armature in the generator is good is there a way to check its continuity
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO