lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
highbid
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 01 ezgo

I just purchased a 01 ezgo with the robyn's engine in it. It has lift, bigger tires, extended top, stereo, speakers etc, nice looking cart. This is a first cart for me and was just wondering opinions or anything to watch out for. I will be trying to get a little more speed out of it first off. Easiest way to accomplish this? Thanks for any and all advice and opinions.
highbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 01 ezgo

First thing I could say, if it's lifted and it'll do 15 MPH, leave it right alone.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliarc View Post
First thing I could say, if it's lifted and it'll do 15 MPH, leave it right alone.
ditto
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
highbid
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Come on now guys, where's the fun in that?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

you can teak the gov a lil to get more speed. but you will loose low end power.

but like stated if its lifted they don't do well cruising at fast speed.

ALSO what size wheels are you running. The last cart I build was lifted with 14" wheels and off-road tires. DUE to having less side wall flex, they cart handles pretty well at around 20 mph. BUT it was pretty gutless on bottom end.

first thing to do is make sure your clutches are working properly.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by COURTESYCART View Post
you can teak the gov a lil to get more speed. but you will loose low end power.
As far as I knew tweaking the governor allows the throttle to stay open more at higher speeds. I don't see how it would mean a sacrifice on low end. Am I missing something?

Seriously though, these carts are pretty well designed to run about 12 MPH with no lift and standard tires. If you give it more go you're seriously asking for a rollover. Also, I don't know about the brakes on a late model but the ones on mine are rear only and they're drums which aren't the greatest. Add the sort of anemic brake to a set of bigger tires and higher speed and you've just lost a good amount of your stopping power since those brakes have not only lost mechanical advantage due to the bigger tires but you're also going faster than the cart was meant for. That even applies to four wheel disc brakes. If you want to go faster, you have to look at stopping faster and taking turns better unless you only ever go straight. Personally I'd rather be running the trails at around 9MPH instead of dragstrips at 20MPH.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
highbid
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the replies guys. The cart has 12" rims with 23" tires and is very stable on the road. The brakes are very solid and stops quickly. The cart will mainly be used on road messin around town as this is legal here, and down the beach for short jaunts. I just want a little more speed to keep from backing traffic up any, don't want to be that guy, too much of that around here already, a few miles an hour would do wonders for that. I suspected the governor tweak would be quickest and easiest, just wanted to do it the right way. Like I said, thanks for the replies and appreciate any more advice as I figure this cart tweaking out.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Ok gotcha. I wouldn't want to be holding up a line of SUV's when I'm in a golf cart myself. Tweak the governor a bit, watch you don't over rev, and be careful on the corners you ought to be ok.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
highbid
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys, tweaked it a bit, definately got more speed but there seems to be alot of slop in my cable back by the spring, is this normal? I also read where if you are over revving it will hit the limiter? is this true for all carts or is there a possibilty of this not happening, this is an 01 cart and not sure what all has been done to it although it does look stock in the engine compartment.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:49 AM   #10
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

for an 01 it's certainly possible for it to have a limiter but I'd sure as hell have a tachometer on there in case it didn't. Besides that, I'd hate to have to rely on a limiter. If you cooked your engine due to over revving I don't think you'd be happy.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO