lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
financethis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1988 ezgo no low end... help please

we bought a 1988 Marathon and it was running fine for about a week after we bought it. long story short It had a fuel problem. but now after I got it running again it will won't go up over drive way or small hills etc. we could drive through thick and heavy tall grass before and now it won't go.
When I first started to work on it after it stopped running good, I found the spark plug loose as a goose. could it have run better with loose spark plug?

1. so is there adjustments I can make the to carb? low end jet?

2. could a leak in the intake valve or reed cause this?

need help, its driving me crazy!

so far here is what I did to it.
got the fuel mixture right to 100:1
compression is at 120 to 122.
new plug and wire, cleaned carb out, new air filter and battery.

ohh and it had a backfire problem when it ran good, but now. backfire seems to be gone, but now low end power at all.
financethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 ezgo no low end... help please

Far as the sparkplug goes, no that can't be loose. It'll wipe out the threads and you'll be installing an insert. They might already be close to that point.

What was the nature of the fuel problem and what did you do to fix it? Just old gas or something else?
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
financethis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliarc View Post
Far as the sparkplug goes, no that can't be loose. It'll wipe out the threads and you'll be installing an insert. They might already be close to that point.

What was the nature of the fuel problem and what did you do to fix it? Just old gas or something else?
no, the spark plug is in there nice and tight now. should be no problems there.

well I took off the oil injection system and drained the fuel tank and blew out the fuel lines with air compressor. ( I think I have super rich gas in there.) also the gas I added was about 6 months old.
then I added 2 gal of fresh gas and 2 oz of oil.

the flow chart in the ezgo manual for power loss shows fuel pump as first place to start. so I bought a new one, waiting on that to give it another try.

its kinda hard to start and I have no low end power, and its not because of the 2 cycle power band thing.

any other ideas?
Old 07-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
financethis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

spark plug gap @ .25 right now. is that ok?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

I'm not sure of the exact gap for the plug but if it was running ok with that setting before and you didn't change it I'd think it should be ok. For now since you already have a fuel pump coming I'd just wait on it and install some new filters as well and see how it works afterwards.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
financethis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ok, so I did get a new fuel pump and after getting the fuel into the pump and carb. I got it to run, but only after I put my hand over the carb and SUPER choked it. I can get it to run, but It wont run unless I have at least half to almost full choke on it? now what should I do?
it seems to run pretty darn good, but I requires me to choke it as soon as I let of the choke it dies. power seems to be back when choked.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
financethis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I am kinda worried about It running to lean, is 100:1 ok? again I took off the oil system
Old 07-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #8
ttcfan4476
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Originally it was set to run 128:1 so 100:1 is good. It sounds like it might have a air leak some place. With it running spray carb cleaner over the crank seals if it changes speed up or down it could be the leak.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 via tapatalk 2
ttcfan4476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #9
ttcfan4476
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Oh and around the carb base

Sent from my Galaxy S3 via tapatalk 2
ttcfan4476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
financethis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

even after I replaced the fuel pump, I feel like its not getting the fuel it needs to run right. there seems to be plenty of pressure coming out of the block to pressurize the fuel pump, but when I phyicallly take the hose off the carb from the fuel pump it barely comes out. and yes the pump has been primed. I shpined gas out of the fuel pump.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO