lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
Firemen404
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 87 marathon with Robins 244 issue.

Hello all,

I was on my cart the other night that tooling around with my son life was good. The issue arise when we stopped to talk to the neighbor, I went to leave and the cart would not fire, it turns over but won't run? It has great spark, the odd part is the plug was wet when I pulled it out. I put in a new plug with no result. There is fuel in the filter but not much. Not getting enough fuel, fuel pump bad? Now another thing I just learned today is I have been running 50:1 fuel as I did not know the mix. Could the mix be an issue, I have run over 10gal through it that way? Any direction is much appreciated! Thanks
Firemen404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Firemen404
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 87 marathon with Robins 244 issue.

Quick update, I pull the fuel line off the carb and gas poured out when I turned the motor over. So I think the pumps good?
Old 10-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
redcloud
Gone Wild

Check compression as you may have a bad piston or head gasket. Not compression and spark will not light fuel thus gas coated plug.
That would be first thing I would check. I know it was running up to that point but then it happened to me once when running down the road and it just stopped. Found my compression had dropped to 35#s and anything under 90#s will give trouble. You may have had low power even not knowing it.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

50:1 is way too much oil. You should be running about 100:1 unless the motor is modified. Try a new plug.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
Firemen404
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Tried a new plug, still nothing. I will check the compression tomorrow. Thanks
Old 10-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
Firemen404
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Checked compression this morning, its at 115. I messed with it some more and I am not getting a wet plug now. When I pull the fuel line off the carb and turn the engine over I get gas, maybe a carb issue?
Old 10-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
apaladin
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I recently experienced exactly the same situation with my 82 244 Robins. I had strong spark, fuel pulsing from the pump, and adequate compression. The answer for me was disassembly and cleaning of the carburetor! I completely disassembled and after using a copious quantity of spray cleaner, reassembled, installed, and the engine fired on turn.

It appeared to me that the float valve was stuck in the closed position (up)!

Disassembly and cleaning was a simple task!

Good luck!
apaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
Morgan44
Gone Wild

I agree with the carb. It's about all that's left. Only other thing is the starter belt slipping. I just rebuilt my 87, got her all put back together she fired, and I didn't have the tensioner tight enough. Just a thought. Good luck.
Morgan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO