lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2014, 11:39 PM   #1
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

Default G16+Ausco Disc Brakes

Thanks to Dave, I now have a set of Ausco mechanical disc brakes for the G16. Tried to install tonight, but running into an issue.

I don't want to install them with the calipers hanging below. This is a trail cart, and one rock - SMACK - They'd be toast. The problem is, when you flip them up, the tension arm seems to hit the rear shocks, not allowing you full movement.

I've searched and read lots about clubcar and eazygo's, but not much in here about Yami's getting these brakes. I read smallblocks post about installing them on his G8, but wasn't sure if he ran into this issue.

Any advice, would be greatly appreciated!!!
stuff4mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G16+Ausco Disc Brakes

I tried to install mine upside down for the same reason you were, on my g2 (<- at left). With the "coil-over" style suspension all yamahas use, i dont think it can be done. Didn't work for me either...
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Got a picture? Only way I see it is to move the lower shock mounts. There is allways a way, just depends on how much fab work your willing to do and we all know you like fabbing Look what you've done so far!
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

OK, I solved this by cutting a corner of the activator bracket. Now it seems to clear. But, I am wondering, are the G16 cables long enough? At least the left side....haven't checked the passenger side yet. I'm thinking not, but I'll keep messing with this tonight.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:39 AM   #5
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

My fears were confirmed tonight. The drivers side cable is too short. By about an inch.. It appears the cable itself is just barley long enough, but the sheathing isn't, so it won't come up into the bracket at the pedal. I am about 98% sure these are the original cables. The passenger side seems OK and appears to be long enough. Now what do I do?

If I order a passenger side cable, wouldn't it be too long for the drivers side? Should I steal the G8's cables and switch them?

By the way Block, I made the brackets as your post http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...e-install.html and that worked great!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140122_001542.jpg (223.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20140122_001549.jpg (259.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20140122_001601.jpg (211.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

G8 cables should be almost identical to the G16's. You could cut the bracket (that holds the cables) and move it rearward till the cables fit, then just lengthen the threaded adjustment rod from the pedal.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #7
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Those parts look better installed than sitting in a box of my shelf.

I had to buy impact socket set to remove the hub nuts when I did my brakes. Regular 12 pt socket would not cut it....
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #8
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

So Dave, where your cables long enough to reach these installed on the top?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff4mason View Post
So Dave, where your cables long enough to reach these installed on the top?
I never installed them. Just painted the rotors and put it all back in the box. I took everything apart, cleaned and replaced the shoes and hardware with OEM. Very dirty, but the shoes weren't that bad, replaced them anyway...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I've seen where guys who have stretched their frames had to move the rear brake cable bracked back a few inches, then they lengthened the threaded rod some to make it reach. Sounds like you could do that with the rod that's there. How short is the cable?

Or, you could order the pass side cable, that's what I did on mine. It works just fine, it's just physically a little long and hangs on the bottom of the frame. I zip tied it out of the way, piece of cake, can't even tell it's there. That should work.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha