lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2019, 04:32 PM   #1
slackinoff
Not Yet Wild

Default Freedom TXT 48v - not fully charging ?

Ok so I have a weird issue with my cart. 48v Freedom TXT.

I was gifted this cart from a good golf friend that just didn't want to mess with it anymore. He bought a new cart. I have been using it every day for a few weeks now on the course, but would love to get it running 100%

The charger (Powerwise QE) shows fully charged after charging overnight ( solid green light) , the light on the charge port ( on the golf cart) is solid green, which means fully charged ( I think) but when I turn the cart on, the dash meter is blinking on it's last bar. The pack voltage is usually around 52.4v before a round of golf and after a round it's 51 or so. All of the batteries individually are at an even voltage, both before and after a round. Batteries have been maintained, the water levels are fine.

If you depress the throttle too quickly from a stop, it will go, cut out, but just a quickly go again. It's like the power is cut for 1/10th of a second. It will sometimes do this even right off the charger.

Up hills it's a little sluggish but always makes it.

Some days the cart feels better than other days, even though I always check the voltage myself before a round, and it says 52.x

I tried my cart shed mates powerwise qe charger a few days ago, same results, same voltages, ect.

Is my pack fully charged at 52.4v despite what the dash meter says?

Any tips or things I could do to help determine what the issue is?

Thank you for reading and the help!

Rm
slackinoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Freedom TXT 48v - not fully charging ?

If your cart has Trojan brand batteries, 100% SoC is 50.93V after they have been at-rest for 12 hours. If they are US Battery brand batteries, 100% Soc is 51.29V. Other brand batteries will be one of those or someplace in between.

The 52.4V reading probable means the pack has not rested long enough and is still showing some of the surface charge that occurs when charging.

Monitor the pack voltage while driving. If you have a DVM with a Min/Max function, it is easy, if not, having a passenger watch the DVM is safer.

What is the lowest voltage the pack drops to during a jackrabbit start and going up hills?

Problem could be one or more batteries dropping excessively under load, or bad high current cables and connections.

What is make/model of batteries and how old are they?

Get rid of the bar-graph meter and get a DVM type.

-------------
added: How tall are the tires? Stock is 18"
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:01 PM   #3
slackinoff
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
If your cart has Trojan brand batteries, 100% SoC is 50.93V after they have been at-rest for 12 hours. If they are US Battery brand batteries, 100% Soc is 51.29V. Other brand batteries will be one of those or someplace in between.

The 52.4V reading probable means the pack has not rested long enough and is still showing some of the surface charge that occurs when charging.

Monitor the pack voltage while driving. If you have a DVM with a Min/Max function, it is easy, if not, having a passenger watch the DVM is safer.

What is the lowest voltage the pack drops to during a jackrabbit start and going up hills?

Problem could be one or more batteries dropping excessively under load, or bad high current cables and connections.

What is make/model of batteries and how old are they?

Get rid of the bar-graph meter and get a DVM type.

-------------
added: How tall are the tires? Stock is 18"
Hi thanks for the quick reply.

Just got back from the course. Off the charger we were at 8.5 to 8.6 volts on every battery for a total pack charge of 51.9. Played 9 holes and when I put the cart up it was resting at 50.1

They are Trojan t-875. About 5 years old. Not too much use. PO said he always made sure they didn't drop below 8 volts when not in use.

Stock tires and wheels.

I will see if I can tape the probes to the terminals tomorrow to monitor the voltage during a shotgun start and hills. I agree on the DVM type instead of the bar graph. It would be interesting to see what the voltage is at the current bar graph.....wondering if there is some kind of voltage drop there and the computer/controller is referencing that voltage? Guess it could just be a faulty meter.

Also, after 9 holes, the battery cables were sort of warm, not so hot you couldn't keep your hand on them certainly warm.

One last thing, I see green cable on the drivers side that is disconnected. Any clue what this is? Will try to post picture. Scratch that looks like I need to be a member for 7 days first. Arg.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:21 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The bar graph meter requires a certain voltage be met during charge to reset. Yours are not meeting that voltage to reset meter. Or the meter.is faulty. To try to force a reset, try charging till full, and unplug & replug cord to initiate another charge. Sometimes this will get it to reset. The reason they aren't meeting reset voltage is likely battery age/less ability to accept charge issues
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:47 PM   #5
sc.rider
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackinoff View Post
Hi thanks for the quick reply.

Just got back from the course. Off the charger we were at 8.5 to 8.6 volts on every battery for a total pack charge of 51.9. Played 9 holes and when I put the cart up it was resting at 50.1

They are Trojan t-875. About 5 years old. Not too much use. PO said he always made sure they didn't drop below 8 volts when not in use.

Stock tires and wheels.

I will see if I can tape the probes to the terminals tomorrow to monitor the voltage during a shotgun start and hills. I agree on the DVM type instead of the bar graph. It would be interesting to see what the voltage is at the current bar graph.....wondering if there is some kind of voltage drop there and the computer/controller is referencing that voltage? Guess it could just be a faulty meter.

Also, after 9 holes, the battery cables were sort of warm, not so hot you couldn't keep your hand on them certainly warm.

One last thing, I see green cable on the drivers side that is disconnected. Any clue what this is? Will try to post picture. Scratch that looks like I need to be a member for 7 days first. Arg.
You can't post a link but you can upload a picture to your gallery/account and post that.
sc.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:34 AM   #6
slackinoff
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc.rider View Post
You can't post a link but you can upload a picture to your gallery/account and post that.
Hey thanks for the tip! Let's see if this works. There should be two pictures attached to this post. *sorry for the low quality, the uploader resized them to like 200kb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190724_204600.jpg (179.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190724_195332.jpg (153.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-25-2019, 11:11 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Get some alligator clips to attach DVM leads while driving.

Cables getting more than 10°F above air temperature need to be replaced or repaired. (All 10 of the high current cables need to be 4Ga or thicker)

Five year old batteries are exactly spring chickens, but if they have been meticulously maintained, they might be okay. The voltage drop under load will tell the tale.

The green wire isn't part of the drive system, since the cart runs and the batteries do charge. Probably associated with the 48V to 12V reducer.

------------
The bad cables are a contributing factor in the cart being slow uphill.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:43 AM   #8
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Several weeks ago we started to use the 10 degree rule based on a post from JohnnieB. This rule gives us a professional diagnosis standard to a customer issues, not just an opinion. Battery cables are relativity inexpensive, Heat is lost run time. On several carts we see new 4ga pack cables & old OEM 6ga on controller & motor cables, Usually the customer will say yes to upgrading all of the OEM 6ga

"in God we Trust".....everybody else needs to show us the data
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:53 PM   #9
slackinoff
Not Yet Wild

Ok update. Played 18 this morning, havent charged it this week. So after the round I was at 49.5 volts. Had a buddy hold the probes to the battery and did the jack rabbit starts. She was pulling down to 42 volts and doing the cut out thing.

Is pulling down from 49.5 to 42 volts a problem???
Old 08-03-2019, 10:23 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

It's not an immediate huge red flag, no. But how high the voltage goes during charge is what makes the meter reset. Here's an example, say you play 9 holes & run the cart until the meter is at 6 out of 10 bars, then you get home and plug the cart in (at an advertised "60% state of charge"). You let it charge for 3 hours, it's not done charging yet, then you decide you want to unplug it and run down to your buddies house. The charger has replenished the batteries to approximately 85% full, right? The meter still reads 6 bars, not 8 or 9 bars, what gives? The meter doesn't indicate any change until the battery voltage reaches the meter's vision of "fully recharged", a preset voltage the meter must see during recharge in order to reset. Since during your full recharge cycles, the meter never sees the on-charge voltage it wants to see for a reset to "full" indication, it never resets to full. I do understand you are allowing the charger to run until it shuts off, but the fact that the meter never saw that required voltage to reset remains the same.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO