lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #1
Wiljam09
Not Yet Wild

Default 2012 RXV wheel, tire, and gear question

Purchased my first golf cart, a used 2012 RXV 48v around 3 months ago. Everything runs and operates great, with new batteries prior to my purchase. Initially I was planning on lifting the cart and putting larger wheels and tires. After reading post on the forum I had come across many post talking about this topic. From my understanding without changing or programming the controller or gears the largest tire diameter I can go is 20.5”s with out experience potential braking problems, acceleration / torque issue. Typically the cart spends 95% of its time riding in the neighborhood. The cart could double as a hunting rig the other 5% of time why I was thinking of lift and larger more aggressive tires. I would rather not lift my cart and put larger tires if I will experience potential issues. At the same time I would really love to lift it 6-8” and put 23-25” tires. Long story short I have two options I am considering and wanted to hear the potential pros and cons.

Option #1 : 6” spindle lift or 8” long travel would be an option with 23-25” tires. But I do not want to spend over $1k in suspension, wheels, and tires and have a cart that has mechanical issues among other things.

Option #2 : upgrade wheels and tires to 20.5” diameter tire and no lift. This way seems to be the safer bet as well as being more practical to the typical use my cart sees. BUT I really prefer the lifted look / style carts.

Pros? Cons? Thoughts? Suggestions?
Wiljam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2019, 10:00 PM   #2
slowpoke76
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2012 RXV wheel, tire, and gear question

I have an '09 with 23 inchers that doesn't exhibit braking issues but does lack the torque I want. If I can get my torque issue fixed I'll be happy as a clam. I also have 20" tires I run sometimes and torque isn't an issue with them. Pulling isn't an issue with either setup, but hill climbing is isn't good with 23's.
slowpoke76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:16 AM   #3
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Lifting the RXV and adding 23" tires will destroy your torque and will do damage to your cart over time. Your best option if you really want the lift is the 350 amp Curtis controller option and have Bob Boyce work his magic on it. Here is a link to the conversion if you have the Danaher controller https://shop.txtsv.com/speed-control...-12v-batteries. You will also need the wiring harness adapter. If you have the Curtis, it's a little cheaper. In 2012, they used both controllers. They swapped over mid year to the Curtis.
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
Wiljam09
Not Yet Wild

Just checked and it looks like I have the danhauer controller not the Curtis. It is grey and says ACO or ACD on it.

To lift an RXV and support bigger tires seems like almost too much work to get there. If I would be spending another $2000-$3000 on this project to do it all “right”.
Wiljam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:19 PM   #5
OnTheFence
Not Yet Wild

I am curious as to what is being “damaged” and under what conditions when running 23” tires. I see plenty of RXVs in my camp running 23” tires. None seem to be suffering damage.

Mine which appears to be a stock controller with freedom unlocked, gets along ok. The peddle seems to be slow to go from a dead stop and aggressive hills tend to require building momentum to make the climb.

I decided not to do a controller re-program expecting that I would end up with a destroyed controller at some point and went in a different direction.

Can a reprogrammed stock controller be set up in a manner that 23” tires are workable, knowing of course something is getting left on the table?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:35 PM   #6
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

A Curtis 350amp controller can handle hills, back seats, and 23" tires. That it what they were made for.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO