lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2019, 04:35 PM   #11
Bayouownbeer
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Thoughts ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouownbeer View Post
Update used temp gun after running around few miles. Motor got up to 150 degrees which is to hot to touch but a waise from 190. Back Of controller was in the range. I Have a digital volt meter hooked to my key switch and if I buy it full throttle voltage drops to 31 but comes back up. I have LED headlight bulbs in the factory head light they will dim as well. Is that normal of I don’t mash it hard it only
Drops a few volts and will settle out around 35 while rolling. 37 almost 38 volts sitting still
Ran around a little more in grass ext today motor got to 160 didn’t push it any further.
Bayouownbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-11-2019, 02:03 AM   #12
Bayouownbeer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
In a nutshell, the slower a motor spins, the more amps it is capable of drawing and the 23" tires causes the motor to spin 28% slower than it normally does, plus it takes more torque to turn the taller than stock tires and more torque means more amps drawn and the lower the battery pack voltage drops to the more amps are needed to do the same work, so you have the perfect storm for overheating the motor and controller and everything else the amps flow through.
Thanks for info. So basically next time I burn up the motor lol. Need up upgrade motor and controller to handle the 23” tires? As long as I’m below 190 on the motor I should be ok? Motor takes while to cool down controller cools down quick. I ordered a 4” waterproof electronics fan to blow on each hopefully that helps.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:55 AM   #13
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I have added a fan to Danaher controller RXVs with real good results! It just might work. But don't discredit JohnnieB because you haven't seen it.... He's dealt with more cart issues than several "shops" combined... He knows his ****
If you are overtaxing your motor, yes, temps will be up. Let's systematically get to the root of the problem. Never "sign off" any part as good until you know for sure. That is like diagnosing my lady's car today on description only. Rule nothing out, until tested.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks for info. So basically next time I burn up the motor lol. Need up upgrade motor and controller to handle the 23” tires? As long as I’m below 190 on the motor I should be ok? Motor takes while to cool down controller cools down quick. I ordered a 4” waterproof electronics fan to blow on each hopefully that helps.
That is the general idea.

The cooler you can get the motor and controller to run, the longer they will last.

Thermal energy is cumulative and what isn't dissipated raises the temperature of whatever is containing it. In other words, if ways to dissipate more heat energy can be implemented, the controller and motor will run cooler.

Removing the cover over the motor will help air flow around motor also.

You R&R'd the controller, so you most likely reused the thermal pad between it and the heat sink. Those pads aren't really reusable, they lose a lot of their efficiency when reused.

They are a bear to remove, I took the heatsink out of the cart and used a bench grinder with a wire brush to get it off. Then I used thermal grease to couple the DCX controller I was installing to the heatsink.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #15
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
That is like diagnosing my lady's car today on description only.
Excellent advice. Made me think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EBABezA3xI
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #16
Bayouownbeer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
That is the general idea.

The cooler you can get the motor and controller to run, the longer they will last.

Thermal energy is cumulative and what isn't dissipated raises the temperature of whatever is containing it. In other words, if ways to dissipate more heat energy can be implemented, the controller and motor will run cooler.

Removing the cover over the motor will help air flow around motor also.

You R&R'd the controller, so you most likely reused the thermal pad between it and the heat sink. Those pads aren't really reusable, they lose a lot of their efficiency when reused.

They are a bear to remove, I took the heatsink out of the cart and used a bench grinder with a wire brush to get it off. Then I used thermal grease to couple the DCX controller I was installing to the heatsink.
When I removed the controller I didn’t see anything but a little Aluim corrosion between the two no thermal pad. I will clean it off Ans put some thermal grease between the two abs add the fans.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #17
Smitt
Not Yet Wild

Just admiring the good advice and info i learned here.
Smitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:20 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
When I removed the controller I didn’t see anything but a little Aluim corrosion between the two no thermal pad. I will clean it off Ans put some thermal grease between the two abs add the fans.
You were lucky.

It was adhesive backed and a son-of-a-gun to get off.

It hadn't even been applied square behind the controller.

The bolt holding the heatsink in place were corroded, but a couple squirts of Kano Kroil and some time solved that issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thermal Pad (2) cropped.jpg (295.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO