lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
bhj83
Not Yet Wild

Default 2019 EZ-Go Freedom RXV Not Reaching 19.5 MPH

First time cart owner here and we started with a 2010 used RXV from a dealer. I remember checking the speed with Google Maps one day and it was getting 19-20 MPH. We had some issues with it not always wanting to start so I ended up giving it back to the dealer and getting a brand new 2019 that was just reduced because 2020s were coming in. They set the speed to 19.5 MPH but it just won't get there. Just had them out again and he replaced the speed controller. Prior to that being replaced, it was going 16 steady and reaching 17 at times. Now it's going 17 steady and reaching 18 at times. Should I expect this stock unit to actually reach 19.5 MPH and is there anything that can be done to get me there?
bhj83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2019 EZ-Go Freedom RXV Not Reaching 19.5 MPH

They may have turned freedom mode on but you have to change the speed to 19.5 in the mode settings. 17.5 is default.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
bhj83
Not Yet Wild

He showed me that both Freedom Mode was turned on and the speed was set to 19.5. It's just not reaching that actual speed.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Far as I know that isn't right. Cart should hit 19+ and shouldn't struggle to get there. You should feel the controller holding the cart back at 19+. With 20" tires cart should get to 22-23 easily.
Maybe faulty ebrake or incorrect installation at the factory. Doesn't seem likely but you never know.
Dealer should make this right or take it back. IMO

I understand Curtis made some changes to the VCL in the late 19s/early 20s carts. Don't know it that includes the RXV. Might be an issue there but I'm grasping at straws. Bob Boyce would know.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:08 PM   #5
bhj83
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Far as I know that isn't right. Cart should hit 19+ and shouldn't struggle to get there. You should feel the controller holding the cart back at 19+. With 20" tires cart should get to 22-23 easily.
Maybe faulty ebrake or incorrect installation at the factory. Doesn't seem likely but you never know.
Dealer should make this right or take it back. IMO

I understand Curtis made some changes to the VCL in the late 19s/early 20s carts. Don't know it that includes the RXV. Might be an issue there but I'm grasping at straws. Bob Boyce would know.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking as well. Just trying to figure out if that's a certainty before I press the issue any more with the dealer.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:11 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The new model also has no problem hitting 19 with stock tires, I need to clear this up now. The new software release didn't change a thing as far as stock PTV 19 mph goes! It only limits how much us jolly pranksters can crank it up above that. We got limited by one single setting that could previously be set over 1000 (470 was exceeding it's useful range), now it can't go above 360. Its original setting was 331, if that gives you a scale of what happened. I think your dealer is "rookie level" for even doing "factory authorized" PTV upgrades. They know how to plug in that keyring to make it beep for "freedom mode", and not much more. Don't think that keyring is a simple "paperclip trick", it's not, the keyring is good for 20 uses, and not one more. It costs money to buy from ezgo (no one else sells it). There are other methods to do it, and those methods "open the door to the kingdom", but that's not for the folks who don't absolutely love building electronics, and loading hard to find software. (Also, Feel comfy manually editing the windows registry? Most folks don't).

If you are still here, don't load up my PM box with requests of how to, give me the codes, will you build me one....

NO, I won't do any of that.

There is a whole thread dedicated to Curtis programming here, if you think you are daring enough to try it yourself (it can work, I use one myself). You will have to go look into it, if you think it's your plan! I will not give "here comes the airplane" spoon feeding on how to. Sorry, not trying to be a jerk, but anyone who wants anything for cheap/free needs to read up first

Yes, any 2012.5 and newer rxv can go about 25mph with just software changes, 2019/20 models will require bigger street wheels to do so.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:16 AM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

The late 2019s and newer have an issue. E-Z-GO modified the VCL/OS. Where are you located?

Just because they did that, does not mean all is hopeless. There are other reprogramming methods that up to now I have not wanted to do, due to possible warranty concerns. They want to play dirty... I can do dirty. LOL
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:05 AM   #8
bhj83
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
The late 2019s and newer have an issue. E-Z-GO modified the VCL/OS. Where are you located?

Just because they did that, does not mean all is hopeless. There are other reprogramming methods that up to now I have not wanted to do, due to possible warranty concerns. They want to play dirty... I can do dirty. LOL
I am located in Kansas City. It sounds like mine might be affected by the modification you mention but is there a way to tell if my cart is a late 2019? I'm new to this golf cart thing but typically very willing to try modifications on electronics with some instructions. I do feel, however, that my dealer should be able to correct this as I was told by them that it should be reaching 19.5 with no problem.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #9
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This is a screen shot from the EZGO web page. Shows 19.5 as possible.

In earlier models with a curtis conroller this was a 2 step process. First an electronic key is plugged in to the controller. After a couple of seconds it beeps and that sets speed limit of 17.5 mph. Then with the hand held scanner the speed limit can be upped to 19.5 mph (assuming standard 18" tall tires) I watched them do this to my cart. Whole thing only takes a minute.

Confirm with dealer that they did both of these steps.

As cgtech noted, both of these electronic devices have to be purchased by the dealer/shop. The electronic key in particular gets expensive because of its fixed number of uses and then it has to be replaced.

I'm assuming this procedure has not changed for the 2019 models.

Bob confirms there are changes to the VCL in the 19-20 models but I think, as cgtech noted, this only affects what can be done beyond OEM 19.5 limit.

FWIW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 10.34.56 AM.jpg (60.2 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:14 AM   #10
bhj83
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
This is a screen shot from the EZGO web page. Shows 19.5 as possible.

In earlier models with a curtis conroller this was a 2 step process. First an electronic key is plugged in to the controller. After a couple of seconds it beeps and that sets speed limit of 17.5 mph. Then with the hand held scanner the speed limit can be upped to 19.5 mph (assuming standard 18" tall tires) I watched them do this to my cart. Whole thing only takes a minute.

Confirm with dealer that they did both of these steps.

As cgtech noted, both of these electronic devices have to be purchased by the dealer/shop. The electronic key in particular gets expensive because of its fixed number of uses and then it has to be replaced.

I'm assuming this procedure has not changed for the 2019 models.

Bob confirms there are changes to the VCL in the 19-20 models but I think, as cgtech noted, this affects what can be done beyond OEM 19.5 limit.

FWIW
I watched the guy do it both times. He plugged something in near the batteries and then he showed me where he set it to 19.5 MPH. When he came out yesterday, he took a new piece out of plastic which I assume is the key you mention and he plugged that in near the battery and tried it again with the original controller and then he replaced the controller after we were still only going 17 MPH. Perhaps the crazy part is my dealer stated he had to contact EZ-GO to get the new controller on a warranty swap. Wouldn't they know if something on the software side was preventing it from reaching 19.5 MPH? It's all confusing to me.

Also, I do have standard 18" tires with 8" wheels...for now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO