lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2019, 01:07 PM   #1
stoker
Gone Wild

Default 2007 year IQ-plus 25260 intermiitent/overcharge?

Is it normal to measure pack voltage at charger and it measure ten volts less then at Batts?seems when you measure at charger you get this 10 volt drop because negative lead is going thru OBC?The OBC was replaced recently.Its still charging batts,but using WAY to much water!also I noticed during charge cycle charger cycles on and off..Batts are a few years old and getting 52.5V measured after 12 hours (after charge)
stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2007 year IQ-plus 25260 intermiitent/overcharge?

Yes that is normal, there is a voltage drop inside the negative path through the OBC.

I always wash the top of the batteries with 1 cup of baking soda to 1 gallon of water before adding water to the cells.

I have seen a few friends with leaking batteries due to the battery caps seals being damaged from closing with dirt or debris around them.

The first set of batteries that came on my cart (US batteries) leaked a lot and were out of balance, the second set I still use (cheap Duracell type) is now 6 years old, are within 0.02v of each other and while it does require water every couple of months they have never leaked.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
stoker
Gone Wild

Thumbs up Re: 2007 year IQ-plus 25260 intermiitent/overcharge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Yes that is normal, there is a voltage drop inside the negative path through the OBC.

I always wash the top of the batteries with 1 cup of baking soda to 1 gallon of water before adding water to the cells.

I have seen a few friends with leaking batteries due to the battery caps seals being damaged from closing with dirt or debris around them.

The first set of batteries that came on my cart (US batteries) leaked a lot and were out of balance, the second set I still use (cheap Duracell type) is now 6 years old, are within 0.02v of each other and while it does require water every couple of months they have never leaked.
Thanks buddy,never knew caps could leak out acid.we maintain a fleet of 68 carts here at work,so learn something new today.I always assumed the moisture on batt tops was normal acid vapors from the charging?we buy cases of aerosol batt cleaner here..spray,then hose down,then air dry with compressed shop air.prob doing it wrong..LOL
Old 09-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #4
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Yes checking the voltage at the charging plug can help determine the health of the OBC. Too low of a voltage passing thru the OBC want turn on the charger. We offer the customer the option of OBC by-pass & a summitt II charger, however we are happy to install a new OBC if we can not convince them otherwise.
Pull them OBC out by their roots like its poison ivy, gosh i dont like a OBC
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:28 PM   #5
stoker
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
Yes checking the voltage at the charging plug can help determine the health of the OBC. Too low of a voltage passing thru the OBC want turn on the charger. We offer the customer the option of OBC by-pass & a summitt II charger, however we are happy to install a new OBC if we can not convince them otherwise.
Pull them OBC out by their roots like its poison ivy, gosh i dont like a OBC
thanks.is there specs/chart on that voltage to determine health of OBC?always love to learn new tricks as we have a crap load of CC that still have OBC:(
Old 09-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The voltage measured from the + and - sockets in the cart charger receptacle should be between 36v to 42v.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #7
stoker
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The voltage measured from the + and - sockets in the cart charger receptacle should be between 36v to 42v.
thanks
mine measures 41.4V (at onboard charger) with a 51.8V pack voltage.does this mean my OBC is healthy?again,it is only like 6 months old,but always wondering about those
The relay in charger tested fine at 2.5K
I tested control board by removing blue wire (DC cord) from top of the control board and plugging it into relay coil small tab (this is where it gets vague)
after plugging DC 3-pin connector it
"says" the relay should "click"
then it goes on to say if relay clicks..control board is bad...If relay DOES NOT click OBC activation is not working????
Old 09-20-2019, 09:33 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That reading is normal.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car