lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2019, 06:59 PM   #1
Navyterp
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Voltage reducer shorting out lights?

I have a used 2009 EZGO RXV... it previously had a light kit installed complete with turn signal and brake lights. I’m still unsure who makes the kit, I suspect it might be RHOX... any easy way to verify this?

Anyways I decided I wanted to install a voltage reducer to draw the power off of my batteries as a whole instead of just one. I purchased a Reliance Voltage Reducer and got around to installing it today... I followed the instructions as advertised and when I turned the cart on everything seemed to work... I had a USB charge plug in my cigarette lighter adapter and heard a pop and noticed it wasn’t working anymore. The front lights were working so I didnt think anything of it.. I assumed maybe it was cheap and didn’t react well to the power.

I went for a ride around the neighborhood and realized that my brake lights and rear lights no longer work and my turn signal no longer flashes up front. Obviously I did some sort of damage... I’ve been trying to troubleshoot and used a multimeter to confirm that 12V is coming out of the voltage reducer. In regards to the back lights, those are LEDs and there is 12V going to the plug.

That’s about as far as I’ve gotten without pulling out all my hair... am I in for a complete rewire or is there something else I can do? I’m open to all suggestions from the experts. Thanks in advance.. this forum is a valuable resource.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Navyterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2019, 06:39 PM   #2
Navyterp
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Voltage reducer shorting out lights?

So after some troubleshooting and talking to a few folks I figured it out... the pigtail that I used for the reducer/inverter was wired in reverse from the instructions so it was sending reverse polarity to the lights. Luckily no damage was done except for the cigarette lighter port which I planned on replacing anyway. In the processed I learned the light kit is RHOX which was a bonus. Anyways lesson learned... always double check with the voltmeter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Navyterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:51 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. Glad you figured it out.

Your headlights must not be LEDs.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Some RXVs have LED tails and halogen headlights.

I always caution anyone attempting a home-install of a reducer/light kit with a USB charger port to NEVER leave their iPhone plugged into the charger port while the install is going on. Any chance of it being hooked up wrong will send 48V to an iPhone and end badly. Lithium Ion batteries even small cell phone batteries ain't pretty when they explode due to over voltage.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO