lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2020, 03:05 PM   #1
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Bad Solenoid? Confirm my diagnosis

My DS cart starting acting up.

It has a XCT48500-IQ. It started acting up and I was getting the low voltage error and the cart was bucking and not going. This error was confirmed with the 1 green 2 red errors as well as plugging in with the toolkit.

I didn't think much of it as the batteries were 6 years old. Today I put in new Trojan T-875s and the error persists. I was thinking this was still a controller problem so I reset the controller, reset the throttle for the MCOR but problems still persist.

I did a voltage test at the power wires going into the controller, at rest they read 50+ volts. But when I hit throttle voltage drops to below 40 volts, and i do not hear the solenoid clicking at all. Move volt meter to the power input side of the solenoid and of course power does not change, but on the power-out side of the solenoid the voltage drops. I did confirm power is to the activation circuit of the solenoid. When the key is off the voltage leaves, key on voltage returns. This sure sounds like the solenoid is bad to me. Would you agree?
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2020, 03:22 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bad Solenoid? Confirm my diagnosis

That could indicate a bad (burnt) contact in the solenoid. Connect the big solenoid posts with a jump cable and see if the cart runs.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:40 PM   #3
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
That could indicate a bad (burnt) contact in the solenoid. Connect the big solenoid posts with a jump cable and see if the cart runs.
Just did... That is indeed the problem, cart ran just fine.
Took the cap off of the MZJ-400A and there is no burn marks at all, so not sure what is wrong with it.

Scotty you have nearly this same email in your work mailbox. I need to verify the hex for the stock silver GE motor as I updated the controller, seems like now I will need to order a new solenoid.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:39 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapjeep2 View Post
Just did... That is indeed the problem, cart ran just fine.
Took the cap off of the MZJ-400A and there is no burn marks at all, so not sure what is wrong with it.

Scotty you have nearly this same email in your work mailbox. I need to verify the hex for the stock silver GE motor as I updated the controller, seems like now I will need to order a new solenoid.
Try cleaning up those contacts. Start with a file then a stone or paper. Try to keep them flat and get them clean. There is just a small pin to pull to remove to the bridge. Then you can work it on a sander or stone. You 'll have the cart working in no time
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:35 PM   #5
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Try cleaning up those contacts. Start with a file then a stone or paper. Try to keep them flat and get them clean. There is just a small pin to pull to remove to the bridge. Then you can work it on a sander or stone. You 'll have the cart working in no time
I did as you suggested, but yea definitely not it, the solenoid is not even activating at all. It's not a contact issue.

Now trying to rule out if this is an activation issue or the solenoid itself.

Connected my meter with negative lead to the negative side of the battery pack.

With Keyswitch off, neither of the solenoid control circuit post have voltage. This is an IQ cart so one lead is the light blue and the other is the blue/wht.

With Keyswitch on, both sides of the solenoid control circuit have full pack voltage. Controller has green light.

When I press the throttle - Voltage remains on the light blue wire on the solenoid activation circuit and drops to zero on the blue/wht side. I am assuming this is normal but not sure.

What else to check for the solenoid activation circuit?
Old 08-15-2020, 09:17 PM   #6
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapjeep2 View Post
.... Now trying to rule out if this is an activation issue or the solenoid itself. ..... keyswitch on, both sides of the solenoid control circuit have full pack voltage. Controller has green light.

When I press the throttle - Voltage remains on the light blue wire on the solenoid activation circuit and drops to zero on the blue/wht side. I am assuming this is normal but not sure.

What else to check for the solenoid activation circuit?
When you press the throttle the foot switch will close sending a +48v signal to the controller which will ground the Blue/White closing the solenoid.
You could jumper the solenoid post with the Blue/White to ground to activate the solenoid coil manually as a test.
Careful, as any further depression of the throttle will send power to the motor so maybe jack the rear end off the ground.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:56 AM   #7
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

What i do not understand is why the cart will still try to run a bit but with low power, this is very odd, I am going to out the stock solenoid in today just to see if that makes a difference.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:50 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the Solenoid is not clicking the issue is not the top contacts.

Remove the wires and diode from the small posts and measure the resistance between the small posts.

You should read approximately 16Ω.

If You get around 300Ω, that means the bottom contacts are stuck and the L2 holding coil is still in the circuit and will not allow enough power to close the solenoid.

You can try tapping on the "bottom cap" of the solenoid to see if the contacts get free or remove the bottom cap and clean the contacts.

Once you get the 16Ω reading between the small posts the solenoid will work again.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:56 AM   #9
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes will, try but why would the cart still try to run like it's in a limp mode or something, I would thing the cart would not run at all, I mean the motor runs and tires move, but you can tell it's low voltage
Old 08-16-2020, 07:01 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Remove the pre-charge resistor and see if the cart still drives.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car