lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2020, 11:50 AM   #1
Spoolx
Gone Wild

Default The definitive how to mount a Lester summit ii charger in a club car DS

Or at least how I did it.....

If you’re anything like me you’ve come to this forum numerous times looking for suggestions on how to mount your charger and only found ambiguous threads with little detail and one picture (if your lucky).
So today I decided to mount mine and will list the supplies I purchased. Keep in mind not all carts are the same so take my measurements with a grain of salt, this guide will help you get started but it’s not gonna replace certain measurement or fabrication skills

Supplies
8x 1/4-20 bolts lengths will vary (I used 6x 1” and 2x 1-3/4”)
8x 1/4-20 lock nuts
8x 1/4” standard washers (fender washers won’t fit on top of Lester charger)
1/4” fender washers (minimum ... could use regular washers if you prefer
4x 1/4”x2” rubber washers
1/8” x 2” x 3’ aluminum bar (use whatever material you like)
NOCO plug (https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GCP1E-6-.../dp/B07TJJQP1S)
Lester Charger w/ ring terminals (https://www.amazon.com/Lester-Batter.../dp/B07N1WDQMZ)
17/64” drill bit
Drill
7/16” socket and ratchet
7/16” box wrench

Steps
1) Find existing hole as shown in my picture and drill a 17/64” hole 10 15/64” away from the existing hole in the frame.

2) Cut two 3” lengths And drill a 17/64” hole on both ends 1/2” from the end on the center of the bar

3) Loosely mount the bar to the charger and the frame using the rubber washer between the bar and the charger (I had to add spacers between my bar and frame because the charger hit the top portion of the frame by the speed controller)

4) measure the distance between the other two holes and the frame. in my case it was 6” and 4.5” because i didn’t get the front bars aligned parallel.

5) Cut two pieces of bar 1” longer than both of your measurements in step 4 and then drill 17/64” holes on both ends on center of the bar

6) Loosely mount the bars to the charger with the rubber mount between the bar and the charger

7) Mark the frame with the center punch for the next two holes. Note, the frame is I-channel so you have to be pretty close to the edge for the bolt to fit

Drill the holes using a 17/64” drill bit

9) Mount the bar the frame using spacers to take up the gap.

10) Tighten all bolts and make sure no interference between top of charger and frame

11) Unscrew your charger port and disconnect all the wires

12) Mount NOCO plug in stock charging port hole ( will fit but you will need new mounting holes

13) route wires underneath cart and terminate (NOCO goes directly to charger and ring terminal red goes to the positive primary lead of your pack and black goes to the negative primary lead) Note: There are alternatives, you can attach red to the solenoid and black to the speed controller or terminal block)

A couple key points

I did not take advantage of the on-board mode of the charger so I didn’t use the blue wire

I already had my OBC removed, if you don’t have that done you need to do that first...

Any questions please ask, this is how I did it. There are numerous possibilities and mine may not be the best.
Spoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2020, 12:23 PM   #2
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: The definitive how to mount a Lester summit ii charger in a club car DS

Cool! I am getting ready to mount mine and will see which direction I go (I have another idea )

I think ScottyB may have a better price on the charger (and is one of the site sponsors; may want to check them all before giving Amazon the business).

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/lester-summit-ii.html
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:03 PM   #3
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: The definitive how to mount a Lester summit ii charger in a club car DS

Spoolx motivated me to go out in my 120* garage and work on my charger install. I went down to Lowes and grabbed a couple of sticks of flat stock aluminum and bent them up at the back of the cart to make a mount, and then mounted the unit up and out of the way. I need to take it all apart and paint the new aluminum to match everything else, and I ran out of nuts to properly tighten the charger, so please disregard the wing nut! I'll go get nuts tomorrow and do it right.

Just another idea if anyone is interested......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Underseat mockup 1.jpg (128.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Underseat mockup 2.jpg (149.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Underseat mockup 3.jpg (152.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-06-2020, 10:44 PM   #4
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

I have way to much fun with my cart to be bringing the charger along for that much abuse . $300 for a DPI to run shotgun in hey watch this moment , not going to end well. But nice installs .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:34 AM   #5
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

In my best Joe Biden voice; c'mon, man! Mount it high and out of the way and you can charge anywhere :) I may not push my cart as hard as you but I do plan on using it, and being able to charge anywhere is kinda cool. I have dirt bikes and 4WD vehicles so I like to abuse things!

I'll probably never do much more that "mall crawling" with my cart (it will be an "around the neighborhood and to the mailbox" cart, but you never know! I guess I can always fix it if I break it!). Nice that we have options :)
Old 09-07-2020, 07:04 AM   #6
Spoolx
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
Spoolx motivated me to go out in my 120* garage and work on my charger install. I went down to Lowes and grabbed a couple of sticks of flat stock aluminum and bent them up at the back of the cart to make a mount, and then mounted the unit up and out of the way. I need to take it all apart and paint the new aluminum to match everything else, and I ran out of nuts to properly tighten the charger, so please disregard the wing nut! I'll go get nuts tomorrow and do it right.

Just another idea if anyone is interested......
Nice job, I actually like your install much better but I don’t think I could mount there because of the batteries.

On a side note, I realize how much more beat my frame is than yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
I have way to much fun with my cart to be bringing the charger along for that much abuse . $300 for a DPI to run shotgun in hey watch this moment , not going to end well. But nice installs .
I don’t do any mudding or anything. Mine is strictly for driving with my wife and daughter to the park and around the neighborhood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50AEB989-3033-460D-B97B-74DCC39A51B1.jpg (426.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-07-2020, 10:34 AM   #7
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks, Spoolx. I do have a bit more room that you and was just wanting to show another option that may be able to be considered (I could move it up a little bit also but was trying to keep it a bit away from the body once I put it on). Seems more and more folks are adding these units to their carts. My frame is/was pretty beat up also and I tried to polish it up, but knew I wouldn't have been happy with it so it just got a good scrub and paint!

BTW-I love that extended top on your cart (looks like it goes back about 2-3 trees!)! I think you need to paint it to match the rest of the cart though :)
Old 09-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #8
Spoolx
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
Thanks, Spoolx. I do have a bit more room that you and was just wanting to show another option that may be able to be considered (I could move it up a little bit also but was trying to keep it a bit away from the body once I put it on). Seems more and more folks are adding these units to their carts. My frame is/was pretty beat up also and I tried to polish it up, but knew I wouldn't have been happy with it so it just got a good scrub and paint!

BTW-I love that extended top on your cart (looks like it goes back about 2-3 trees!)! I think you need to paint it to match the rest of the cart though :)
What would happen if you put it on the other side of your brackets? Would it still clear the body? If so I think that would work for most people.

I took my body off for the paint, I regret not spending some time cleaning up the frame or even mounting the charger while I was there...
Old 09-07-2020, 11:22 AM   #9
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

It could probably work mounted on the back side; I just wanted to be able to access it from the same side as the rest of the junk under the seat for some reason. I doubt that it will need to be touched much once installed, so not 100% sure why that was important to me.... I build units like in these pics and to me it is always important to have accessibility for that day when something needs attention; guess I am applying that thought process a bit here

My frame may look "pretty", but my cart is still sitting in my garage and you are out having fun in yours! It is obvious who has their priorities right here, and it is not me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skid mounting 1.jpg (91.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Skid mounting 2.jpg (86.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Skid mounting 3.jpg (93.8 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car