lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #1
n5yzv
Not Yet Wild

Default 1996 DS Club Car Headlights Wiring

Am I correct that the ground for the headlights and horn (12v) are frame grounded? Also, I'm thinking that the 48v ground would also be frame grounded, but from somewhere deep in the cobwebs of my mind, this is ok that both 12v and 48v are using a common grounding.... Please correct me.

I am installing a separate 60v to 12v buck as I have converted to lithium, thus, I'm thinking I need to attach the 12v ground to chassis.
n5yzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2020, 12:25 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1996 DS Club Car Headlights Wiring

Electric carts do not use the frame for ground.

It is both for safety reasons due to the amount of energy stored in the pack but also for galvanic corrosion on carts with lots of dissimilar metals.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:17 PM   #3
n5yzv
Not Yet Wild

With the lights + connected to the + of the buck, the lights come on and I see 12v between the + of the output of the buck and the chassis. With the lights disconnected, I do not see 12v between the output of the buck and the chassis. Looks like I need to dig into some of "custom wiring" that someone did. My plan is to have the + & - for the lights to go directly to the buck. Sound right?
Old 09-14-2020, 01:20 PM   #4
n5yzv
Not Yet Wild

Just for clarification. I pulled the lead acid batteries and replaced with Lithium. In short, whatever was wired into + / - went to the corresponding terminals on the lithium pack. Anything 12v was left off due to I wanted to get the buck installed.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The correct way is to run both positive and negative wires to each accessory.

If you also have taillights connected to the headlights, make sure those are not grounded.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:43 PM   #6
n5yzv
Not Yet Wild

Ok, that's what I was thinking too. Just wanted to be sure there wasn't a different way with these. Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car