lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
orlandois
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery melted around post

I have a 2003 EZGO which I've owned for one year. While driving the golf cart it simply stopped running and I couldn't get it to move. The lights still turned on but that was about it. I opened the seat to expose the batteries and found this as shown in pics.

This battery and cable in the picture is the only one affected. The other batteries and cables are fine. The batteries are Trojan T105 and were also purchased in 2003. Battery water was kept maintained.

The nut on the bolt didn't seem to be loose but I can't really turn it too much because of its present condition. I'm going to look for corrosion in the cable but wanted to check what other possibilities could cause this. Corrosion, bad battery plates, etc.

I'm assuming I need to start with replacing that battery....just wondering if I'm also going to have to replace the whole set of batteries.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trojan t105 angle.jpg (67.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Trojan t105 side.jpg (59.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Trojan t105 top.jpg (75.5 KB, 38 views)
orlandois is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery melted around post

That could have been caused by an internal short in the battery. 2003 - 2011 is 8 yrs. You got your $ worth, likely it is time for a new set.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

....and replace ALL OF YOUR CABLES TOO!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
....and replace ALL OF YOUR CABLES TOO!
Yes, that crimp on the other looks light weight.
and
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
ChevyRacing75
Maybe This Weekend :)

Club Car

Looks like a good enough excuse to upgrade to me!
ChevyRacing75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I had one battery ( Trojan ) that the nut tightened down and felt tight but the cable was still slightly loose. I didn't realize it until the insulation on the cable started to blister at that connection. I had nowhere near your meltdown, but I'm sure if I hadn't found it when I did, my post would have melted too! I now twist on the cable ends after I tighten them just to make sure!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Like Scottyb said, it could have been a shorted cell. But it might have been a corrosion within the connector, or some combination thereof and maybe other factors.

If you look at the gap between the copper connector and the insulation in picture #2, you'll see green corrosion covering the wires.
To avoid this problem (more correctly - delay this problem), use closed end lugs and shrink wrap the gap to make it air tight.
To each their own, but I prefer silver soldered lugs.

I got better low end performance when I upgraded to 2Ga cables on my 2008 PDS, but no top speed increase because the controller limits motor RPM.

When you get your new batteries, be sure top break them in properly.

Better hold on to your hat after replacing 8 year old battery and corroded cables.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
orlandois
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the responses on this. I like the ideas of replacing the cables and using a thicker gauge for those. I also think I will go with that shrink wrap idea.

I had a chance to put a volt meter on the batteries and found that all of them are 6.2 volts......even the bad one with the melted post reads 6.2 volts.

With these readings of 6.2 volts, would there be any issues of replacing just the one battery or will it cause problems with one new and the others old.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:28 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

6.2V = 70% charge.

Since the batteries are 8 years old, I would replace them all.
Because the batteries are connected in series, the new battery would quickly acquire the performance characteristics of the other five when you replaced the others, it would need replacing also, or it would become the weakest link in the chain.

If you could find a good used battery, it would probably keep you running until you can replace the entire set. That way you wouldn't be sacrificing the cost of a new battery to buy time.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:28 AM   #10
orlandois
Not Yet Wild

I decided I will replace the whole set of Trojans for my 36v system, but it will be a couple months before I can sink the money. I considered refurbished Exides....cause I can get those for a lot less and a lot sooner, but heard I should stick with trojans.

Couldn't find any available used batteries in the area, so in the meantime I needed to get the cart up a long and very steep driveway to be garaged - so I bought 1-new trojan and replaced the three questionable post cables with the same 6-ga grade. After installing I ran the cart down the block and up the driveway and found that the the two cables that I didn't replace were warm and somewhat brittle feeling....but the three new flexible cables were cool to the touch. I'll be replacing those two cables as well.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO