lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
JRantz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Angry Rusted Battery Tray

So when I was routing the wires for my new headlight/tailight kit and saw some pretty bad corrosion. After taking the batteries out this is what I found. Now I am trying to take this sucker out and the fwd two nuts and bolts are corroded and seized. I have tried everything but a torch. But thats next Any advice is welcomed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart.jpg (207.9 KB, 52 views)
JRantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-28-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rusted Battery Tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRantz View Post
So when I was routing the wires for my new headlight/tailight kit and saw some pretty bad corrosion. After taking the batteries out this is what I found. Now I am trying to take this sucker out and the fwd two nuts and bolts are corroded and seized. I have tried everything but a torch. But thats next Any advice is welcomed.
Man! And I thought mine were bad! Anyway, if you can find it " Kano Kroil " is a great penetrant oil. Put some on and let it soak for a day. If this doesn't do it, The torch is the next step. Remove all the batteries first and get some " pink wool " insulation to use as a heat shield for your wires and anything else that is in the area. Good Luck with it! A good portion of my life has been spent with the war against rust!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
JRantz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yea its pretty bad but nothing a little elbow grease can't fix.. or in this case a lot. I use to live in Port Orange FL so needless to say I can relate to the war on rust. I saw your thread.. I am going with aluminum and Im just going to put a little RTV at the contact points to create a 'gap' to battle the dissimilar metals.. Good luck with yours
Old 09-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
Fyrestorm
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Had to take a torch to mine. They were in very rough shape. For $15 I bought some good angle iron and a buddy of mine who welds built me a brand new one. 4 coats of rustoleum should help protect!!

Fyrestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
dvmartin
Getting Wild

You should consider getting some POR 15 to coat the steel. I have used this product with good success.
dvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

found that rattle can bed liner seems to work well also.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
JRantz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thats a good idea... I have some herculiner left.... Ill just paint the tray with that!
Old 09-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmartin View Post
You should consider getting some POR 15 to coat the steel. I have used this product with good success.
Yeah! I forgot about that! It needs proper prep work, but is totally excellent! Thank you for activating my feeble brain cells!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
Paxdad
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I made mine from some stainless steel angle iron. I am now worried that the frame will corrode around the battery trays :)
Paxdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:38 PM   #10
nutsehc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thumbs down Re: Rusted Battery Tray

Ran into same issue with friends cart. He had complained that he was not getting any distance from his pack, so I took a look at it and found that two of terminations at the posts were hanging on by the rust only, both the battery hold down posts were completely rusted through and completely gone, and battery acid was everywhere. Come to find out that the batteries were bouncing all around, ( due to the fact that was no longer anything holding them down) and that he had purchased an auto watering system that was his new favorite toy. Consequently all the batteries were filled to the brim. Testing the batteries revealed that 2 had bad cells so new battery time. I pull the batteries to find that the battery tray was gonzo...not surprising... time for new battery tray as well! This is going to add up....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Threatt 1.jpg (224.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Threatt 2 - Copy.jpg (268.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Threatt 3.jpg (152.4 KB, 0 views)
nutsehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO