lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
hogasm
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 48v Powerwise Qe charger?

I was given a 48volt Powerwise Qe charger. Don't know if good or bad

If I purchase http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-EZGO...item43aa5285d0

Is there any other modifications needed to make this charger work on a 48v 1984 Marathon with Scottyb's conversion kit?
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 48v Powerwise Qe charger?

If you've got a 48V battery pack and a 48V battery charger, you've got to either change the charger's plug to match the cart's receptacle or the cart's receptacle to match the charger's plug.
What the cart is and what has been done to it shouldn't be a major issue for either solution.

The Marathon didn't have a reed switch, so the only wiring issue I see with the cart receptacle referred to is getting the 48V QE charger to sense the correct battery terminal at the receptacle.
The 36V QE sensed BL- via the Aux contact in the Powerwise style plug, but I don't know which one (BL- or BL+) the 48V QE senses, or how/where it does it.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
hogasm
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
If you've got a 48V battery pack and a 48V battery charger, you've got to either change the charger's plug to match the cart's receptacle or the cart's receptacle to match the charger's plug.
What the cart is and what has been done to it shouldn't be a major issue for either solution.

The Marathon didn't have a reed switch, so the only wiring issue I see with the cart receptacle referred to is getting the 48V QE charger to sense the correct battery terminal at the receptacle.
The 36V QE sensed BL- via the Aux contact in the Powerwise style plug, but I don't know which one (BL- or BL+) the 48V QE senses, or how/where it does it.
After changing the carts recepticle to match the chargers plug, should I just terminate the 3rd wire in the cart recepticle or add resistors to the wire to fool the charger into thinking it has a reed switch attached to it?
Old 11-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm View Post
After changing the carts recepticle to match the chargers plug, should I just terminate the 3rd wire in the cart recepticle or add resistors to the wire to fool the charger into thinking it has a reed switch attached to it?
The reed switch has absolutely nothing to do with the charger's operation.
It disables the cart so it cannot be driven away while connected to the charger.
EZGO discontinued this "feature" in the later carts built.

Just leave the third (smaller) wire in the carts new charger receptacle disconnected (with bare metal of connector at end of wire taped).

If you have the new receptacle, could you post some pictures of what the backside looks like with the various wire separated so I can see which terminals they are attached to?

I don't have a Powerwise 48V QE charger wiring diagram or a schematic of a cart that uses it, so I'm more or less shooting blind.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
hogasm
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I plugged in the charger today to check the possibility of hard mounting and direct wiring of the charger. Nothing happened. No voltage on the charger terminals and no noise from the charger. Now I am dumfounded
Old 11-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm View Post
I plugged in the charger today to check the possibility of hard mounting and direct wiring of the charger. Nothing happened. No voltage on the charger terminals and no noise from the charger. Now I am dumfounded
That charger will not engage unless it "sees" a battery pack.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
hogasm
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
That charger will not engage unless it "sees" a battery pack.
Makes sense
Old 11-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The original charger receptacle should have two wires going to the battery pack. One connects to the most negative terminal, the other to the most positive.

The new receptacle should have two heavier wires, one Black and the other Red, White or any color except Black.

Connect the Black wire from the new receptacle to the same negative battery terminal that the Black wire from the old receptacle is/was attached. If there is an in-line fuse, attach to fuse terminal rather than directly to battery terminal.

Connect the other heavier cable from the new receptacle to the same positive battery terminal that the other wire from the old receptacle is/was attached. Again, if there is an in-line fuse, attach to fuse terminal rather than directly to battery terminal.

Leave any other wires on new receptacle unattached.

Try charger again.

If it comes on, all is well. Hard mount the new receptacle.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
hogasm
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks again!

It will either be on Wed am or after next weekend before I can give it a try. Painting the body parts on Mon and Tues so I will have to reinstall everything.

Tags
48v powerwise qe charger
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO